Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VPS Server Load

Websync is offline What's a Guru? I want to be a GlowRu!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Websync I sent you a PM to a snapshot of hostracker results that look pretty good. Can you send me some bad results from there? Have you also checked your trace and ping times?
    Ok Matt, thanks. I replied to your PM and will start a new ticket on the memory issue. I have to check out of here for awhile, but will try to get back to it later today.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Okay here is the current status of Vern. We have tuned it for several days now and that is about as good as it is going to get it looks like. We can disable backups for a couple days to get rid of the late night issues if you guys want.

In the mean time we have some (2) new more powerful CPUs on order which should alleviate many other issues on the hardware node. We are not going to be putting any other VPS on this node only removing them, until the new hardware arrives and things have stabilized even more than they have already.

We have adjusted the crons to fix the disk I/O issues, we have adjusted the CPU allocations of each VPS, and optimized several other settings to get where we are now, but turning things up any higher are not doing any good because we are now capped by actual hardware CPU limitations not virtual ones.

We have a few other minor tweaks for memory and the like which should help, and we will be applying those over the next couple days while we wait for the new hardware.

Sorry for the inconvenience folks, everything jumped up all at once and it was pretty difficult to figure out the exact cause because it seems like one thing and then it was another, so we were not sure if we were making any progress, but actually were.

We are going to order a pair of the most powerful CPU available for the current motherboard in this machine and we anticipate it will be ample for the current VPS running on this node and then some.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

omarfilip is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Very helpful tweaks so far. The load times for my site have decreased significantly - from ~20 seconds to the neighborhood of 2-4 seconds with only a few slower loads here and there. Improvements with the new CPUs should make it even better.

Nice work!

I am getting much faster page loads too. Even logging into CPanel. No more lag. Server Load is way down as well.

Great Job - Thank you!

Please see this thread if you are not already subscribed to the outages forum:

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

This problem seems to be back again (tonight, 7pm gmt) the symptoms are the same, one of the vps's has a load near 70 which seems to cause all the others to be un-usably slooooowww.

Basic html page - 12 seconds to load
    basic php ioncube encoded page - 26 seconds to load
    Last edited by andychev; 03-04-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Slow here too. Maybe the server logs can be checked again? There has to be a reason for this.

How about now? One of the other VPS on this machine turned on the juice to their site recently and we have made some adjustments on their account to correct the issue.

omarfilip is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Thumbs up

Mine is fine.

Hi Matt,
    It started working just fine right after my last post. I am sorry - I tried to tell you, but for some odd reason was not able to log back into the forum.

The server load was at 2.73 then went all the way down to 0.43 within minutes of my last post and the speed picked right back up.

Thank you for checking into it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast