Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VPS Server Load

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well as a status report, we are still scratching our heads a bit but we have taken some measures that we know could be to blame, and hopefully corrected them.

The problem that happens about 11 PM to 1 am EST should be corrected. What was happening was all the VPSs were getting their cPanel updates at the exact same moment. This was due to the fact that the VPS's come from a template that we have built, but overlooked the fact that the crontab entries were all set to fire off at the same time.

We have adjusted the crons on each VPS to fire off at different times to that the disk I/O is not maxed out trying to install files for 20 something cPanel servers at the same time.

Additionally, we have removed one VPS from the server which should free up some resources for the others.

We are also in the process of putting one another one of the load consuming VPS in quarantine on a separate server.

So that should help us get past that nightly issue that we were dealing with, and the random fluctuations in the day should be better after this second VPS is transferred out to its own dedicated machine.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

omarfilip is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Thanks Matt. I'll keep an eye on the performance and report any difficulties or successes. Kudos for the responsiveness!
    Omar

How have things been for the last couple hours? Loads look much better...

omarfilip is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Still sluggish ~ 15 seconds for me and 14.06 sec. average measured through host-tracker.com

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Things seem to be a lot better than they were, response time used to be 180ms this has now dropped to ~130. Pages are loading noticably faster for me and server load drops below 2 it never used to.

Websync is offline What's a Guru? I want to be a GlowRu!

I am having many of the same problems as you guys. In fact, I was going to start a new ticket this morning, but saw this thread first.

The server load is so high, and the connection time so slow that my site times out completely before opening. I am also having trouble uploading files because it will either not connect or time out. My morning cron job only runs sporadically too. I am supposed to get a daily email from the cron job, but if the server times out it won’t resend. Having the same problems when trying to login or use Cpanel.

I am on the west coast of the US, so sure many times it could have been the “nightly” issue, but it is 10:30 in the morning here now and it is still happening. I have checked to see if anyone was causing the problem on my end, but so far nothing.

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

Websync is offline What's a Guru? I want to be a GlowRu!

I was also wondering why the memory usage is so high, when I am barely using any of my allocated resources.

Server Load 1.92 (2 cpus)
    Memory Used 65.6 %
    Last edited by Websync; 02-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Websync I sent you a PM to a snapshot of hostracker results that look pretty good. Can you send me some bad results from there? Have you also checked your trace and ping times?

I am not saying that there are not still issues on the Vern VPS but I want to make sure we are not troubleshooting 2 different issues. As for the memory issues, we'd need a ticket on it to see ehat is eating up the available ram. My Guess is mostly cPanel. Our lite package is just barely enough to power the panel and everything that runs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by andychev View Post
    Things seem to be a lot better than they were, response time used to be 180ms this has now dropped to ~130. Pages are loading noticably faster for me and server load drops below 2 it never used to.
    Better, like how they were last week?

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Better, like how they were last week?
    Sorry i dont know really, i just know that when i started the thread on the 7th they were at 180 and above now they are 130ms and sometimes below so something you have done must have helped.

The ded used to always be between 120-130
    Last edited by andychev; 02-09-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast