Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Olga Performance

IanOBrien is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Matt, a few clarifications:

In order to achieve virtually uninterrupted service, you are recommending that I upgrade to a VPS or dedicated box? This seems like a substantial leap just to guarantee that my vB stays functioning.

Can you not guarantee 99.9% uptime on an advanced 4 star plan for my vB?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dazkeirle View Post
    o.k. excellent.

I wont be going elsewhere. I don't usually get this level of support on any of my other sites hosted by others. Sure i din't get quite as many issues but then as you say, i pay more there and so I'm sure there are less users on the server.

My issue with going up to pro is that none of the packages go up to 100 Gb bandwidth per month, and that is roundabouts what i'm using so I'm forced lower or almost double the price to a semi-dedicated. While I'd love that, it's just a little too pricy.

Thanks for tips on subscribing. I'm such a n00b, should have thought of that.
    Maybe it is time to consider consolidation of your accounts to something that only has your sites on it. Based on all the monthly fees I am sure you would be getting close to a VPS if that is the case. VPS still scare me with these sort of events so you know I waill always say "go dedicated."
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

dazkeirle is offline Junior Web Sage

kind of.

I work for a web firm and have some sites hosted with our own hosting services but I'm up to my allowance and cannot get the required bandwidth on the few services we do offer.

I will look into getting something more permanent sorted though.

Quote Originally Posted by IanOBrien View Post
    In order to achieve virtually uninterrupted service, you are recommending that I upgrade to a VPS or dedicated box?
    I cannot say that will be the case for your particular scenario, but what I can do is look at the numbers of others over the years who are dedicated and look at the historical trends and see that we rarely if ever have problems from the dedicated customers. And when there is, there is usually only one customer to support, and one or a handful of sites that need addressed, not hundreds at a time like a shared server, which also increases support response of that server because we are not in these forums posting updates, and also not answering the same question hundreds of times in a row at the helpdesk ticketing system.

Can you not guarantee 99.9% uptime on an advanced 4 star plan for my vB?
    Again I feel I am being misunderstood, but that is not a new thing for me.

No, I cannot guarantee you that, computers and hardware are too imperfect. We try to meet that and historically have and have even been very close to that on the budget plans.

My primary point is all servers have issues and during a time when the entire thing needs a restoration, like now, you will be waiting longer on a server that has more users and larger sites. If you look at the Advanced and Budget plans, they are identical on disk space so if there was any speed to recovery difference between Budget and Advanced, it would be minimal, since many if not all of the sites are going to be large ones.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-24-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Ok, let me simplify the question then: if I upgrade to Advanced 4 Star hosting, will my vB work any better, i.e. more consistently with less trouble trying to connect to MySQL?

Can't tell until we see what the problem is when it happens on the regular server. That will require a ticket from you when it is happening or shortly after.

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Quote Originally Posted by IanOBrien View Post
    Ok, let me simplify the question then: if I upgrade to Advanced 4 Star hosting, will my vB work any better, i.e. more consistently with less trouble trying to connect to MySQL?
    Do you recall what types of errors you were getting? I don't recall if VB has errors turned off and/or debugging, but 'Too Many connections' is one common one, and keep in mind, if 3 sites that dont update their software regularly get hacked, a email spammer can take up all the connections whether its MySQL or not. This is not to say it is common, although it happens often enough, but just to illustrate why Matt is hesitant to answer a 'simple' question. Because the answer isnt. I will say that my site is on a 4 star, and I do not see a lot of problems. One other thing to consider is when you see the problems. Did I catch somewhere that you were in the UK? It may be that the nightly backups are happening during YOUR day, and there are a lot more backups to be done on a Budget server. But as Matt says, we cant really answer definitively without more data.

These are the errors I've received:

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    /home/pelixmed/public_html/startrek/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 273\
    Database error in vBulletin 3.6.4:

Invalid SQL:

UPDATE pelixmedsession
    SET lastactivity = 1197086593, location = '/forums/search.php?searchid=14711', inforum = 0, inthread = 0, incalendar = 0, badlocation = 0
    WHERE sessionhash = 'c969157b895d1b28721e2bec83f33d7b';

MySQL Error : MySQL server has gone away
    There are also many times that the server runs so slowly that it takes upwards of 10 seconds to load the page up. Also, I am not in the UK.

Those are just typical vB errors which don't tell much other than the script is having issues connecting.

What we'd need to see is when you are getting those so we can login as root to the server and see what sort of processes are tying up the connections. Please open a ticket next time you see it happen.

Hi guys,

Olga apparently has a problem... again. None of my addon domains are working, I'm not at a location where I can check my FTP to see if any of my files are still in tact, but this has officially reached an unacceptable level. I expect that this will be fixed within the next 12 hours or I will be removing all hosting from your services immediately.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast