Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hosting Change

QHF
    QHF is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Question Hosting Change

Good Morning All!

A quick question, (I hope). A small business is changing from their current hosting provider to Glowhost. I have already moved a copy the their current web site to Glowhost and everything looks to have moved intact; I've recreated all the necessary email accounts, with the thought of causing them minimal disruption as they use email heavily for their business.

They will be changing their DNS settings very soon to complete the move. I was asked a question regarding email that I wasn't sure of so I'll ask it here: what happens to any email sent to them during the time they point their name servers from their current host to Gloshost, before every thing resolves?

Thanks to all!
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello,
    the most probable thing is that e-mails will arrive to the old server. Your client should use the IP of this server as a POP3 mail server to check e-mails there.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Or if your user does not have the technical knowledge of how to do that, if they have a webmail interface they can look at webmail on the old server and new server during the transition to make sure no emails are overlooked / lost.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

QHF

Thank you for the information Matt, (got your name right this time!). They are on a very basic plan with their current hosting company; didn't even have access to any type of control panel to manage their account.

I'm not sure, but I'll ask if they have access to webmail.

Thanks.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

QHF

Matt,

No web mail access, unbelievable! There current email is a business account so the email domain is the same as what they will have once the move to Glowhost is complete. I'm thinking of temporally taking their site down and putting up a notice of some kind alerting users that the domain will be down for system changes while the Nameservers propagate from the current host to here. This way they won't miss any email orders.

I'll keep you informed.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

A better solution would be to create 2 profiles in their email reader for the same address, then use the mail server IP address for the old host in the incoming and outgoing server definitions and then in the second profile do the same thing with the IP address that you receive here that way the email program is hard coded to check the exact IP for mail on both hosts.

once propagation is complete they an delete the profile for their old host and update the new profile to use mail.domain.com instead of the Ip for incoming and outgoing mailservers.

This allows you to check email on both hosts during propagation. A little more advanced but it works well. You'll have to ask the other host what the IP is or ping the domain that you have listed in there now and then when the ping returns an IP plugging in the IP instead of the domain should work fine for you.

nist is offline Banned

Default hello

hi
    Sometimes when a server is rebooted, it goes into fsck which is a disk check to make sure there are no bad sectors on the disk. This can take a while, and is unpredictable as to which reboot may trigger the fsck.

QHF

Question Website Problems

Matt,

I changed the DNS name server settings with Network Solutions to point to GlowHost yesterday afternoon and the root domain has already resolved. The hosting plan purchased by this business allows for 5 addon domains. I got into the control panel and tried to setup one of their other domains as an addon domain and couldn't do it. After entering all the information and clicking the Add Domain button, nothing happens. Is this something that requires a support ticket?

As always, thanks for the great service.

PS Let me know if you want to hear a real horror story (after all it is almost Halloween) about a hosting company (no names, I don't want to get sued) that really hates to loose business! If your interested I'll start a new thread in the Lounge.

__________________________________________________ _________

The addon domain creations process looked like nothing was happining, but after letting it sit for awhile, it came back with an error message stating the addon domain was already created. But the addon domains section of control panel is still displaying the No Addon Domains are configured message. Any ideas?
    Last edited by QHF; 10-18-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: New Information
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

I've never seen it where "nothing happens." is should create it or throw a specific error.

Do you receive a specific error after you try to create the addon domains?

As for the Halloween Horror story, sure enlighten me I'm always up for a good story.

QHF

Matt,

I tried it again and did receive an error that says the addon domain is already configured, I'm attaching a screen print for you to see. But it still shows no addon domain, again another screen print showing this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error_message.png   addon_domanins.png  
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast