Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mailbox transfers

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default mailbox transfers

Does anyone know the easiest way to transfer an account mailbox from one cpanel to another on a different server?

I told my client that I would look into this for him, only after telling him to make sure he had pulled down all the messages he wanted to keep. He's a webmail kinda guy and likes to keep stuff on the server .

Thanks,
    Charles H

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello, Charles. The easies way to do it is to copy data of the e-mail account, transfer to the destination server. This can be done via ssh, but it also can be done via ftp or Cpanel file manager. The account you are transferring should be created first on the destination server via Cpanel. The path to the account is
    Code:
    /home/username/mail/doman.com/account

I tried FTP and I don't have access to the domain.com folder. In file manager, I do, but it is not letting me download it. I only have SSH access to the account I want to transfer to, not from, so I can't get anything off of that folder.

Hmm.

I suggest you to archive the e-mail account folder using the command
    Code:
    tar -zcpf account.tar.gz account
    where account is the e-mail account's folder name. The archive account.tar.gz can be uploaded to the destination server and unpacked using the command
    Code:
    tar -zxpf account.tar.gz
    Please, note, that this operation should be done in /home/username/mail/domain.com/ folder.

Thanks,

I got it transfered!

Charles

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by charlesh View Post
    He's a webmail kinda guy and likes to keep stuff on the server
    So do I but I cannot stand using webmail. Ever try IMAP instead of POP3?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Are there any other webmail solutions besides squirrel and horde? My clients are really not impressed with either.
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Well, squirrel and horde are the most reliable and secure webmail programs integrated in Cpanel. This is irrefutable plus for them. Can you tell what exactly your clients don't like? Maybe we can help you to satisfy their needs. Also, we can install any webmail program for you in case you are on a VPS or dedicated server, but we can't give guaranty that nothing bad will happen with it since this is a third-party software. Nobody can't foresee the bugs which could take place.

Default gmail, outlook webmail, etc

Most people are used to seeing gmail, yahoo, and outlook web interfaces, which are nice webmail clients. The ones Cpanel use are rather basic but get the job done and are easy to use.

You can always set up a pop account on gmail or yahoo and get the messages that way.

Charles H

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Many of us have been encouraging cPanel to include Roundcube into their system but they have been reluctant because the software has been in beta or release candidate for the last couple of years.

It is now considered "stable" as of a few weeks ago so we have our fingers crossed if they will release it as part of cpanel.

I suggest some votes for it on their bugzilla if you want a nicer email interface.

Here is the link to the cPanel bugzill for Roundcube webmail. make sure to vote and add comments if you want it added.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast