Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS Propagation - Private Nameservers

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default DNS Propagation - Private Nameservers

I wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has experience with it, and /or finds themselves in the future with this issue.

I am in the process of migrating to a glowhost VPS with all my accounts, so naturally wanted my own domain name server. Well, I registered the domain name with enom (where my main account domain is listed) and have been waiting and waiting for almost 72 hours now and no-one but enom sees that it points to the correct IP addresses. I try to ping it and get no response. No other whois knows about it, either.

The big question I have is, am I missing another step on my end? Something in WHM? As far as I can tell, everything in WHM is set up and ready to go...

CharlesH

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

have you asked enom to add the child namservers, ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to the appropriate ips? (dedicated ips in the vps) and have you set up the A record in the dns zone for the domain?

Default Dnsstuff

The "A" record for the domain - that's got me thinking. I didn't yet move the domain itself to the server, only went into Enom to specify the DNS for the domain.

Does the domain itself have to correspond to the IP addresses that I set up for the DNS? Or at least point there? My thinking on this was to first get the ns1.harmonmediagroup.com to resolve and then I could point the actual domain there once that happened. I don't want to point the domain itself to a DNS that doesn't resolve yet - is my thinking correct on that?

Thanks,
    CharlesH
    Last edited by charlesh; 03-02-2008 at 06:25 PM.

sergey is offline Master Glow Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by charlesh View Post
    The "A" record for the domain - that's got me thinking. I didn't yet move the domain itself to the server, only went into Enom to specify the DNS for the domain.

Does the domain itself have to correspond to the IP addresses that I set up for the DNS? Or at least point there? My thinking on this was to first get the ns1.harmonmediagroup.com to resolve and then I could point the actual domain there once that happened. I don't want to point the domain itself to a DNS that doesn't resolve yet - is my thinking correct on that?

Thanks,
    CharlesH
    Charles,

The nameservers ns1.harmonmediagroup.com and ns2.harmonmediagroup.com are already registered and point to the correct IP addresses. This can be confirmed at the URL's below:

NS1.HARMONMEDIAGROUP.COM

NS2.HARMONMEDIAGROUP.COM

Therefore you just need to change nameservers at your Domain Registrar Enom to ns1.harmonmediagroup.com and ns2.harmonmediagroup.com. It will take from several hours up to 48 hours until the domain starts resolving to the new server.

Default Thanks

Ok, so I guess I wasn't crazy after all. I just tried to ping them and I don't get a reply at all, so that was the only way I was checking to see if it propagated or not. I get a could not find host ns1.harmonmediagroup.com when I try.

Should I be able to ping them at this point or will it take for the actual domain name to transfer? If so, then this thread may help someone else out there when transitioning.

Thanks,
    CharlesH

Matt is online now GlowHost Administrator

Well the A records do not exist for these nameservers on the current server you are hosting on, they exist on the new one though, that's why they are not yet pingable. Compare the Zone on your new server with the zone on the old server and you can add these A records for ns1/ns2 on the old server if you want them to be pingable before you start resolving this or any other sites.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Everything is resolving great! I just pointed the domain to the new nameservers and I'm already resolving to the new IP address. I was making that way more complicated than it really was.

I have to say Matt, that I had to read the post a couple of times before I got it. Couple that with (what I believe to be) an obscure reference to the allyourbase belong to us mantra as your signature and now I think I'm on the right track

Thanks for the help,

CharlesH

Matt is online now GlowHost Administrator

LOL. Glad you got it working.

You are on the right track with my signature. What it actually says is:

"All your base are belong to us"

This came from an old video game import from Japan and when they did the translation to English, well, it basically made no sense. Pretty quick this was a viral video on the Interwebs and then all sorts of other remixs to the original video made their way on the Intertubes.

Here is a wikipedia on it

All your base are belong to us - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the original video, then some of the many other vitals that came from this old internet phenom.

YouTube - All Your Base Are Belong To Us
    Last edited by Matt; 03-03-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

So Charles - are you excited about the change to VPS?
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt - I remember those times and for the most part they were good times - back in 2000 I actually thought that my stock options in the .Net I was working for in Atlanta would someday make me rich. They sank to $.15 a share before it was over and my strike price was $.19. Oh well.

Lynne,
    I do like the dedicated. It's a bit of a haul to get all my clients moved over, but Glowhost has been real supportive during the transition. I think that it is well worth the amount, plus, it has proven to me with all the changes to DNS and my domain and the addition of my own Name Servers, that DNS and DNS zones, etc., can get pretty complicated. I'm glad for the intermediary transition of having the VPS and I think I would be a bit lost right now if I had my own dedicated server. It's a good stepping stone, really.

Over and out,
    Charles H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast