Thread: Cpanel DNS Zone and 3rdparty DNS Zone Have To Match?

farware is offline Newbie

Default Cpanel DNS Zone and 3rdparty DNS Zone Have To Match?

Hi,

I'm currently considering moving a site to Glowhost, but I want to host my DNS somewhere else.

The question:
    1. Do the Cpanel DNS Zone and the DNS Zone of my DNS provider have to match? (I have a working site where I did not update the Cpanel Zone)

2. Cpanel creates another Serial Number, Refresh, Retry, Minimum TTL - do I have to update them accordingly?

Basically, I'm currently running a site where I did NOT update the WHM DNS Zone, but the site works, so I am wondering why do I have to update the WHM DNS Zone in the first place if I use the DNS zone of my provider? The root nameservers would never even look at the DNS zone of my WHM server, they look at the DNS zone of my DNS provider.

Found this related thread but doesn't really answer my question.

Appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello,

First of all welcome to our forum.

Basically, you need to make appropriate modifications in the DNS zone to which you domain's NS point. In case you are going to use NS provided by GlowHost, you'll use the DNS zone on our server.

There is no need to perform any modifications to the zones in cPanel unless you are going to put something custom there. Most of the zones work perfectly without any changes.

If you are using the zone from another host instead of your zone in cPanel, you don't need to set any other values there, like Serial Number, Refresh, Retry, Minimum TTL, since they are set properly wherever you are hosting the DNS already.

But, if case you would like to keep using some third-party DNS, you'll need to modify A (and perhaps MX if you want mail hosted here) records in order to resolve your domain to our server.