Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zend Optimiser

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jmarcv View Post
    nope. Did that before I asked.

Looks like checking for this file will do
    usr/local/Zend/etc/php.ini
    Both methods work for me to show it is installed.

You may have guessed my next question, if there are no drawbacks and it makes php quicker is there a reason it isnt active as default?

Matt is online now GlowHost Administrator

If you look for it at host.server.com/~user/info.php it may not show, you have to look at the info.php in cpanel acct homedir. Checking for that file should do, unless its an artifact and somehow no longer is installed.

phpinfo is your sure bet.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Quote Originally Posted by andychev View Post
    ... is there a reason it isnt active as default?
    Probably to give you a choice. There is PHPA and a few others out there which might break if a user has it installed and you turn on the Zend version.

Well, see what you did Andy?

Been futzing with this for hours. Bottom line .... I notice NO difference. Hmmm.....

Is my code THAT good? {G}

Your code is probably that good!

I noticed a marked difference on a heavliy modified oscommerce store which is very php heavy.

However, this wasnt the reason for installing it, just a bonus. Some of the programs in fantastico dont work without.

Quote Originally Posted by andychev View Post
    I noticed a marked difference on a heavliy modified oscommerce store which is very php heavy.
    I would have thought my 'monster' 6000+ line module would have been considered 'php heavy' enough. Anyway, you got me on a tangent now, and I am looking into some of the cache programs out there now that Zend Cache is some $1500US + (part of Zend Platform).

The idea behind the caches is that optimizer optimizes, but it still needs to convert the english into a more machine readable format. The cache maintains the machine readable part in memory eliminating I/O , optimizing, and conversion.

When and moreso, if I get around to this, I'll be asking which Fantastico offerings require optimizer so I can report any glitches.

I would have thought my 'monster' 6000+ line module would have been considered 'php heavy' enough. Anyway, you got me on a tangent now, and I am looking into some of the cache programs out there now that Zend Cache is some $1500US + (part of Zend Platform).
    Agreed, perhaps you are just good at optimising from the start! Or maybe it just worked as a placebo to make me think it loads quicker!

When and moreso, if I get around to this, I'll be asking which Fantastico offerings require optimizer so I can report any glitches.
    This could be a problem for more people, the program in question is account lab + which could potentially be used by any / all resellers.

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Zend vs. ION cube:

Is there a big difference in running php apps under zend or ION cube? I recently installed a billing system that requires ION cube, but it also gives an option for zend optimizer. I don't expect my server to be overrun with my clients paying bills (which would be nice), but if there was a dramatic reason to use one over the other, I would consider installing the optimizer.

CharlesH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12