Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: user bandwidth

atcspaul is offline What's a Guru? I want to be a GlowRu!

Default user bandwidth

this is from my cpanel. i checked the ip and it is a member of the forum with no post however the usage of bandwidth by this person does not seem posible. here is a copy paste and maybe you can tell me what you think

ip
    pages
    hits
    bandwidth usage
    3.97 GB
    date
    11 Nov 2008 - 16:03

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Member as in registered user? Did you look at their profile and did any of it seem suspicious?

Did you check to see if the IP was a known IP from a robot like yahoo or google perhaps? Hard to tell where your IP ends and the other numbers begin from the post above.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

ya it is in conn, no posts. i do not allow links untill a regestered member with a certain number of posts or links or anything else. my bandwidth ussage is really high and trying to figure out why
    Last edited by atcspaul; 11-25-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Well, you either have a robot or someone who really likes to read on your site. FYI that IP comes from Cox in Rhode Island not Connecticut as far as I can tell. I see there is Captcha on your site for new user registrations but I question if it is 100% foolproof in screening of all bots from registering. I suppose you could send a PM to the person and see if you get anything back from them or of course ban their IP if you suspect them as non-human or simply want to restrict them from your site because they are consuming too much.

they were only on the site the one time when they joined. no other member has used more then a few hundred mb's so 3.9gb sounds next to imposible to me. i am still doing some searching. i new it was new england lol. must have had conn on my mind

sergey is offline Master Glow Jedi

Try to check AWStats statistic for your account and see what these guys accessed from this IP.

that is where i got that info let me see if i can figure out what they accessed. thanks matt. as always you thier when we need you

where do i search what it accesed. even the google bots and search engines do not use anywhere near this type of bandwidth. as i said the largest ussage i have seen with anyone including the bots is around 200mb so 3.9gig just dosnt seem posible. has me baffled

Quote Originally Posted by atcspaul View Post
    where do i search what it accesed.
    AwStats isnt very good for looking up who did what IMO but then maybe I am just used to webalizer. Look in webalizer it should show you who is doing what more clearly.

ya i been looking and the crazy thing is i havnt been able to find anything really out of the ordinary. i made some changes on bandwidth ussage on the forum yesturday and today is way down however the day is not over yet. what time zone do you all use so i can see if the changes i made helped? i am redlining now on ussage and just got a dedicated server from you all recently and the forum really is not that big to be using this kind of bandwidth. hopefully the changes i made will help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast