Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mysql 5, Haylee and cold fusion

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Default Mysql 5, Haylee and cold fusion

Just a couple of questions. I remember reading that haylee wasnt going to be upgraded to mysql 5? Is this for the forseable future or is it just for a short while? If so do you have a date in mind for the upgrade? I ask as i have a large oscommerce store that i will probably need to update, hours of fun!

Also i have a need for hosting a cold fusion based website. I read at one point you were looking at having some windows servers (am i right in saying cold fusion runs on windows servers?) again do you have any timescale in mind or nothing fixed as yet? Alternatively is it possible to run cold fusion on a linux server?

Thanks Andy

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

ColdFusion runs on linux as well as windows. The license costs (over $1000) vs. demand may be the deciding issue.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Haylee will likely be upgraded in another week, possibly two weeks from now. It is scheduled for upgrade however.

The fixes are not too bad really, lots of them are simple one-liners that you see in the other mysql 5 and oscommerce patch thread.

So hopefully it will not be hours of patching for you. We will make sure it is on a day when we have some programmers around to help those that need help applying the patches.

Cold Fusion we can run it if you like on a dedicated server provided you pay the license fees, we can run whatever you like. As for offering it in a shared environment, not quite yet.

If you want a timeline of how things are going, its like this:

1) We are still working on finishing up the MySQL 5
    2) Install New GlowHost Website
    3) Beta release of PHP 5 + PHP 4
    4) Ruby On Rails Development servers
    5) Roll-out of VPS product line.
    6) Managed Microsoft Exchange Hosting services

THEN

We are in the consideration phases for

A) Windows shared hosting
    B) Windows Dedicated Hosting
    C) Colfusion Hosting
    D) Flash Media Server
    E) Game Servers
    F) shoutcast servers

The first list has the most demand right now so we will be fulfilling those first but if you need any of those other items we can do it on a dedicated server for you if you like.

As for Coldfusion on Linux, my understanding is yes it does install on linux just fine. But I'd have to do some research on if there is any noticeable differences in the way it runs. For example, some claim ASP runs on Linux but it is not the same as windows ASP. PHP runs on windows but again, a little different, not necessarily worse, just different.

So it might be worth some googling on the differences in Coldfusion server, if any.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-21-2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Super, That answers my questions really well. I will just charge them for converting their site into php then i can host it too!, works out cheaper for them in the long run as they currently pay £30 approx $55 a month for basic cold fusion hosting.

The basic oscommerce sites we have doesnt worry me too much. The only one im worried about is one where the is a multiple department set-up which in effect has multiple linked oscommerce stores and is very heavily customised. We are also due to launch a new department at the end of the month so dont want it to fall over the day after! Can you reply to this a couple of hours before it will be upgraded or drop me a pm so i can make sure i am online any idea on what time (gmt) this will be done at?

Andychev,

We'll try to reply direct to this post but your best bet is to subscribe to the mySQL5 thread.

When we post something in that thread, the system will send you an immediate email provided you have your forom profile preferences setup for immediate notification (which is the forum default) and not nightly or weekly digest mode. Traditionally we have been posting in that thread a few hours before performing the update.

It wil be done around 10-12 PM EST so we can do it as late as possible while not being so late that we can still have quilified personnelle on hand to assist with the transition from 4.1 to 5.0
    Last edited by Matt; 08-23-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Super, i have subscribed to that thread and laid in extra coffee supplies, 11pm there is about 4am here !

So you are in the UK somewhere then?

yes, in sunny York.

I cant find out how to edit my above message so sorry for the double post.

I thought that just popped into my mind. Can i put in a special request that the upgrade is done either before the 12th september or after the 19th? as im running away from everything on a much needed holiday that week!
    Last edited by andychev; 08-27-2006 at 05:10 AM.

We set the forum limit to 15 minutes for post editing for moderation purposes. So after 15 minutes the post cannot be edited.

Works out good in this case because had you edited your post we would have never seen your date request.

It will be done before th 12th for certain.

So where's the vacation to?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast