Thread: email not being deleted

rsriverrat is offline No longer a Newbie

Default email not being deleted

i apolloize if this has been covered somewhere else, however i have looked and cannot find an answer anywhere.

when using thunderbird if i delete an email(send to the trash bin) then tell thunderbird to empty trash it doesnt, i can then log into my webmail using horde and see the emails as being marked deleted with the strikethrough, however untill i actually tell horde to purge deleted it remains..

granted i have never used thunderbird before, however when i use it on my own private server here at my house it does as expected and deletes the mail, however not on any of my email accounts on GH...

any ideas?

Ratt

Matt is online now GlowHost Administrator

I assume you are using IMAP and not POP3.

In my Thunderbird I have it set like this:

Tools > Account Options > (some account here) > Server Settings > When I delete a message "Move it to the trash folder" and it goes to the trash immediately without having to delete and then purge.

You might try that option as it saves a step with the whole strikethrough thing. If that doesn't work for you then it may be a bug in your thunderbird version.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

hmmmmm yes i have tried it with move to trash folder setting aswell as the remove it immediately setting, and all it ever does is soft delete it..

the funny thing is, in thunderbird it shows it as being moved to the trash folder or deleted respectively, however in horde none ever actually get moved the trash bin or deleted, they are ALWAYS soft deleted requiring a horde login to purge deleted...

thunderbird version 2.0.0.9 (20071031)

Ratt

ok i think i figured it out, however it took a little tinkering with horde....

when i was logged into horde i went to my mail options for deleting and moving messages, there i had to check the box that said
    Code:
    When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder  instead of marking them as deleted?
    now when i delete messages in thunderbird they are actually soft deleted untill i empty my trash can in thunderbird, then they are truely hard deleted..

now to go log into all of my email accounts with horde and change that setting...

Ratt

Ahh yes. That is how it works in Horde. Your prefs have to be set in each application that accesses the IMAP server just like how you would set your prefs on your local PC application. Be nice if it did it automatically.

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for sharing it with the community.

not a problem sharing at all, i am an admin at a very popular vb site with over 200,000 members, so i know what sharing is all about... and no that site WONT be on my server here.... LOL

yes it would be nice if the default settings in horde were set that way.... odd that the horde settings override the external imap client tho....

i just wanted to make sure mail that was deleted was actually deleted and not taking up valuable space since space may be a concern after i get my db's and websites copied over...

things look good, hopefully my first personal offsite hosting experience will continue to be as good as this has been so far...

Ratt

Quote Originally Posted by rsriverrat View Post
    things look good, hopefully my first personal offsite hosting experience will continue to be as good as this has been so far...
    Hopefully so

And we do not mind hosting 200,000 member vB sites either. We like those sort of challenges and would be happy to help if things become a problem with the current host.

We have some extremely talented staff that are always eager to assist.