Thread: VPS questions

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Default VPS questions

I am currently on your pro reseller hosting, not ready for a dedicated or semi-dedicated pricing structure and love the server I am on. I am looking into solutions WITH Glowhost - also should mention that I know NOTHING about server admin.

From what I've read, VPS here at Glowhost is proactively monitored unless I choose otherwise.

Is Vern your only VPS solution?

Are VPS servers typically less reliable? (I noticed some issues posted for Vern plus the routine maintenance.)

What do I need to know to resell on a VPS?

What's the drawbacks?

Can I move the 2 dedicated IP's and SSL's that are installed now on my reseller account?

Is the VPS server as fast as the shared server? What happens when people "oversell" the hosting? Does this affect the other hosts on the VPS?

Can I be notified if there are issues so that I can learn from what happens on a server?

And last but not least, I just had to have some changes made to my existing server because of the php I had coded into my client's sites. This seemed to be a little bit confusing for awhile. Since I do not know what it is that needs to be changed in this type of situation - would I still get that same type of support and response that I receive now being on a shared server?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

From what I've read, VPS here at GlowHost is proactively monitored unless I choose otherwise.
    That is right. To you, the customer, you see no difference. If you like OUR shared hosting, we can do it that way, no problem.

Is Vern your only VPS solution?
    Vern is not our only VPS solution. Vern is our primary solution until it runs out of room

She is a beast of a machine with lots of Ram and lots of redundant hard disks in a hot-swap-able RAID array. Vern probably has enough room for 5-10 more VPS's, maybe more. It depends on how busy the sites on that machine get. capacity is available for up to 100 VPS's, but I highly doubt that box will see 33% of that. We like to keep our machines "underloaded."

Are VPS servers typically less reliable? (I noticed some issues posted for Vern plus the routine maintenance.)
    VPS are actually much more reliable than shared. The problem with VPS is it is still a 'shared" machine. If there is a hardware failure, there is not much we can do (except what we already have by making sure the hardware is redundant). We have to replace the hardware.

If a problem arises on a VPS, you (may) have to wait for your neighbors site's to be restored. (unless you were the one that drew the short straw, and your accounts were restored first...)

Typically, with VPS, the sites data systems are very large, meaning, lots of files, basically, 5-15 gigs of "used" disk space.

They are sites that are growing, but are not yet ready for dedicated....at least that is the concept in the site admin's mind.

Most people I see on VPS have:

1. A limited budget
    2. Want a full featured server
    3. Are not sure if they should be dedicated

Given the above; this equates to is longer downtime in the event of a problem. It is a sacrifice of better "overall" performance + root access, versus "perceived" longer downtime in a hardware failure situation.

VPS customers typically "notice" downtime because their sites are busy, then they assume that since they are on a VPS they will be back online sooner. It is not the case. They still have to wait for their neighbor's site to be restored.

Can I move the 2 dedicated IP's and SSL's that are installed now on my reseller account?
    Yes. Though your IPs may change. Your certificates are transferable to the new machine.

Is the VPS server as fast as the shared server?
    Yes, it should be much faster actually.

What happens when people "oversell" the hosting? Does this affect the other hosts on the VPS?
    Impossible to answer. your neighbor might be selling websites that specialize in WAP or cellular telephone access (very small sites). Your other neighbor might be doing a YouTube type site (very large sites).

Basically you will get the same reliability with VPS, as shared. If there is a VPS that is affecting performance, we will disable sections of your neighbor's site or disable the entire site if the problem is that bad.

The difference is that your neighbor can only consume a limited amount of RAM, however, the CPU is still shared. We monitor this and politely ask for an upgrade from our clients, when it is required.

Can I be notified if there are issues so that I can learn from what happens on a server?
    Yes. You can subscribe to out outages forum.

for your last question, the answer is yes. it is fully managed. If you need it, we will do our best to make sure you have it.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Thank you Matt - I am seriously thinking about doing this. I would like to move the sites myself though so I can learn how to address the situations that arise.

I've been feeling a bit ill-equiped to address some of the issues I've had with my sites lately and really need to learn how the programming and server settings work together.

I do have one site that is using quite a bit of bandwidth - can you take a look at my reseller accounts and see if there are any issues I might run into being on a VPS?

Is there any way I could get a no fee 7 day window so I can move sites one at a time, s-l-o-w-l-y? Will I be able to learn how to do the SSL certificate installation?

Oh, forgot to ask last night - there's not a per hour support fee, right?

Thanks!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Thank you Matt
    Mucho Gusto

I am seriously thinking about doing this. I would like to move the sites myself though so I can learn how to address the situations that arise.
    Go for it. That is what the rest of the hosts out there did.

I've been feeling a bit ill-equiped to address some of the issues I've had with my sites lately and really need to learn how the programming and server settings work together.
    You are not a programmer, you are a host...right?

I do have one site that is using quite a bit of bandwidth - can you take a look at my reseller accounts and see if there are any issues I might run into being on a VPS?
    Open a ticket please and we will have a gander.

Is there any way I could get a no fee 7 day window so I can move sites one at a time, s-l-o-w-l-y? Will I be able to learn how to do the SSL certificate installation?
    Are you asking for a free VPS to test it out? Sure, no problem. You are an established customer, so for you it is not a problem at all. Please reference this thread or post and open a ticket to the billing dept. and they will see that you have the option available.

Oh, forgot to ask last night - there's not a per hour support fee, right?
    Yes, there is a fee. it is $100/hour. However, I cannot remember the last client that was charrged for it. You would need to do some serious damage to the system for a charge from us. If you let us manage it, I cannot see any reason for a charge.
    Last edited by Matt; 11-15-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |