Thread: Dns Zones For Dedicated Ip

kheadley is offline Newbie

Question Dns Zones For Dedicated Ip

Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar (ignore locally specified nameservers)
    or
    Overwrite any existing DNS zones for the account

Am I right in thinking that if I have 5 websites that I want to give unique ip addresses to, I set up their account using the option "Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar (ignore locally specified nameservers)" and setup the unique ip address for each account on the child nameservers of the domain name or do I need to assign the ip to an account through whm? If I have to assign an account a specific ip how is this done??

trickyBizzness is offline Certified Glow Sage

The zones of themselves will not give a site a dedicated IP address.

"Use the nameservers specified at the Domain's Registrar (ignore locally specified nameservers)"

This option will set the zone file to use whatever nameservers your domain name is using right now as according to WHOIS. You might do that if you are hosting your DNS some place else.

If you are using private nameservers and hosting your own DNS at GlowHost, then you would want to use the default option.

To change a site to a dedicated IP, you have to have free IPs available to do that. Then you would use the option in WHM to change a site's IP address.
    Hi!

Is the only way you can give the account a dedicated ip by creating the account in whm and then changing the ip address assigned to it or can you assign it a different ip address when the account is created??

GlowAlex is offline Master Glow Jedi

Hello,

You can do that in the both ways, they will work well, but the latter is more preferable because requires less changes and DNS and other settings. Before creating a new account with a dedicated Ip address make sure you have free ip addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by kheadley View Post
    Is the only way you can give the account a dedicated ip by creating the account in whm and then changing the ip address assigned to it or can you assign it a different ip address when the account is created??

How do you select the dedicated IP address when creating an account as i cannot see the option in WHM? I have 10 ip addresses available to me with 5 websites currently on the server.

GlowAlex is offline Master Glow Jedi

Please check 'Reserved Ip Adresses' under 'Ip Addresses' menu in WHM. To make an IP address available for the new account it should be unchecked there.

Quote Originally Posted by kheadley View Post
    How do you select the dedicated IP address when creating an account as i cannot see the option in WHM? I have 10 ip addresses available to me with 5 websites currently on the server.