Default RL Hanson-Online Launches New Site

Please give me your feedback!

RL Hanson-Online
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Other than the Lunapages link (G)

Looks very clean, seems functionally sound.
    Are you using a template or CMS? Is it data-driven? I remember you talking about running html through the PHP processor, so are these all php pages?

What appears to be a DIV that covers the screen that you have to close to go back is an interesting design concept.

You may want to look at this link and protect your email address.
    http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/design_no21.htm

FYI - typo
    http://www.rlhanson-online.com/paypal_current.html
    We hace recently added e-newletter maintenance and customization to our list of services!

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

There's a couple links I have to change yet! It's just been a couple of very busy days!

I create my page design using Dreamweaver originally as a php file. I use php includes for my left & right bar items, footer, menu buttons, etc. and then I save it as a template and update my content.
    Data driven, no, just the typical database for the forum, chat, and shopping cart (which is a template).

The DIV you mentioned is GreyBox which is a totally awesome script and requires very little code tweaking for functionality. I love it as it's not really a pop-up window and thus not blocked by user settings. (There are a couple of tweaks other people have done based on this script with different effects, etc.)

Thank you for the compliments and feedback! I am a self-taught (with a couple of good friends who inspire and challenge me) designer and am always looking for input. I can't improve without criticism!

Oh, btw, good stuff in the article - will start implementing that right away! Thanks!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

No CMS! I saw those template tags. Now I am more impressed. I thought you were using someone elses. As an artist, perhaps you will be interested in this. http://www.csszengarden.com/ Basically, the concept is, tables were made for displaying table related material, not for web design. Makes sense, but for me it is a real bitch for the most part, and I fall back to tables because I know them in my sleep and have deadlines. But, figured you might want to take a look. Like php includes, CSS can be the **** for sure. Just takes a little getting used to. I write from scratch, but I know Dreamweaver is supposed to handle them well. Style Sheets. Too bad you don't do flash. I need someone. If you have any friends who know XML and flash very well, lemmee know.

I'm cheesin' now! Thanks for the "kudos"!
    I am barely grasping the css end of things now and am constantly hitting my head against the wall (or more specifically, my desk) when I try to learn something new with it. Like z-index - not a clue what this does, how it changes anything, etc.
    I try new concepts here and there and also fall back to what I know due to deadlines or frustration! Nothing I hate more than something I don't know! And before clients, I would've spent every waking moment trying to master what it was that was kicking my ---. Just don't have that luxury anymore.
    Zen Garden: very neat concept. Perhaps I can review it one day when I need a challenge!
    I admire anyone that can code style sheets effectively, that's for sure! As far as flash and XML, I've met a couple of people here but not anything I am very impressed with.
    Have you tried rentacoder? They may have some people you could use for the flash and XML.
    Dreamweaver is awesome as you can use the split view for design and code. This is awesome for me as I can save time placing tables and their attributes but tweak the code at will.
    And yes, the CSS is cool with the ability to click on the style being used and change it very easily, or add new styles which is automatically placed in the sheet you specify.
    Send me an example of your work!
    Last edited by rlhanson; 08-05-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typographical error
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Well if you do need help with CSS and you can handle an attitude (g)
    http://glowhost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547
    Ole (young I should say) zoffix seems to have a good knowledge.

Examples... well, I am pretty much out of web design for years now, I am really a programmer and database admin, so my work is mostly on the backend of glowhost and my biggest client sellersourcebook. Lately, someone else takes care of the prettiness and the glory.

Thanks for the reply John-Marc!
    I had already noticed the expertise of zoffix (along with his self-assuredness) as I was browsing through the topics!

Glad to know your specialty now - and no worries, anybody that matters knows the prettiness and the glory can achieve nothing without the brains to get it done!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online