Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog Ware To Use?

classicsm is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Default Blog Ware To Use?

I want to put a blog on my site....any suggestions? I've looked into Blogware which is about $9 a month, and Blogger which is free or paid. Is there a company that Glowhost recommends? Thanks! Lisa

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

You can use a service like that but my suggestion is to use some of the fantastico scripts in your cPanel since there are numerous scripts in there that are specifically built for blogging. That way you don't need an extra service you can blog in your existing web hosting space.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

classicsm is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

hmm...ok...i'll look around. there are so many features in there. who knew! thanks for the speedy response.

FrankT is offline Practically a Glow Sage

I use WordPress, and I've been happy with it. It's easy to set up, easy to use -- it's not fancy, but it does a good job.
    Last edited by Matt; 04-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.

SharyHorton is offline No longer a Newbie

Could you please tell me how to install these things or do you install them?
    I would love to get somethings going,,, between work and other responsibilities, this is just not happening.
    You keep telling me to go to fantiasco, but I do not know what to do once I get there.
    I like what you did with Franks site Matt,,,
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    shary

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

That wasn't me that did it. That was Frank's handy work. Frank, care to share?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Thanks for the update Matt,,, I sure wish I could get this going without taking so long,,, Frank,,??? can I pick your brain?
    Thanks,
    shary

Sure! Although, given my brain, it won't take long or yield much.

I went into Fantastico, selected WordPress, and, uh, things get pretty fuzzy at that point. I believe I just pulled up a WordPress 'How to Install' file and followed it.

I do remember that I had to create a BLOG directory -- tell you what, let me see what's in there and I'll be right back.

That is where I went fuzzy too! LOL
    Anything you can do would help me a little,,,, my brain is overloaded right now! Thanks,
    shary

Okay, a few links -- here's the Wordpress installation help page:

http://http://codex.wordpress.org/Ge...with_WordPress

And here is the 'Famous 5 Minute Install:'

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installin...Minute_Install

Now, in each of those you'll see numerous references to SQL databses and Apache and various other esoteric terms.

When I installed WordPress, I didn't know what an SQL database was. Now, I still don't know what an SQL database is. I just read the guides and bluffed my way through and got lucky.

That said, though, there is a group of people who *know* what an SQL database is, what it eats, and where it builds its nests. They will install, FOR FREE, WordPress on your domain, just because they're trying to promote the use of Wordpress. You can find them at:

http://install4free.wordpress.com/

I thought I could step through at least part of the process for installing WordPress and give you a step by step, but I already have the maximum allowed number of SQL database thingies so I can't do that, and if I delete them I figure I'll lose all my posts.

I do like WordPress. Once you get it set up, you just post away, no messing about with databases or anything else. And since it lives on your site, it's fast and convenient.

What happens when you click on Fantastico, and then click on Install Wordpress? My memory might be jogged as something specific.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. But if *I* got the stuff to work, that means a circus monkey could do it. I'll see if I can find one of those. I work with several.

Good luck! Let me know how it's going, okay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast