Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFmpeg Support

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

They to are located in /usr/local/bin/

If you are asking how to code the PHP scripts, I am afraid we cannot offer much information on that as programming is not one of our normal service offerings. I can move this thread to the programming forum and perhaps someone in there will know.

If I come across anything, I will post it for you.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-13-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

I found this when googling:
    "how to use ffmpeg in php tutorial"

ONLamp.com -- Creating MyTube with Flex and PHP

I am sure there is a lot more info out there though.

QHF
    QHF is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Mat, thanks for the info. I'll do some reading and then give it a try and see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress, or lack their of.

QHF

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default Advantage?

Matt,

Is there any advantage to use the streamer, rather than converting to .flv here and uploading the flash movie up to my server anyway? Is there a reduction of bandwidth and a retention of quality by using FFmpeg?

CharlesH

CharlesH -

Lots of people don't have the software on their PCs to convert the files to .flv because it is spendy. The main idea behind it is it allows any old user on the Internet (read: your site visitors) to upload their mpegs to the website without having to have expensive software on their PCs to perform the conversion.

If you have seen the way youtube and other sites work where any member of the general public can upload content, then you will understand the concepts behind FFmpeg on the server side.

In you case since you and the previous poster probably do not need members of the general public uploading content to your web sites, I would think directly uploading your .flv files and embedding them in your web pages should work fine. I have never tried it that way but I do not see why not.

Maybe you can let us know how it goes

I know that I, for one, am curious.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-13-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Ah, now that makes perfect sense. Yes, by having people upload video you need a universal converter of sorts - I see the advantage of that now.

I read through the tutorial you gave the link to and looks pretty cool. The problem with movies on websites is, as you mentioned and the tutorial mentions is that bandwidth goes out the roof. It would be cool if you could tell FFmpeg size and quality settings by passing in parameters. I'm sure you can. That, would come in handy. I noticed that youtube does something similar, because their quality is "bandwidth friendly quality".

Charles

QHF

Well, I've been doing some reading, (additional posts here included - thanks Mat and CharlesH), and this doesn't seem the way to go for us. Am I wrong, or is FFmpeg for visitor's to be able to upload their video(s) to our site? If correct, this is NOT what we want to do and could be a censoring nightmare.

I was trying to avoid purchasing software that creates Flash output so we can buffer and stream video and take advantage of the streaming capabilities here a GlowHost. It looks like we're going to have to spend a few dollars to buy and learn new software. Unless there is a away within FFmpeg to disable or hide the upload features without killing the program. To all you PHP programmers out their, is this possible?

QHF

PS - It's going to be a steep learning curve but I can see that I'm going to have to learn PHP. Does anyone know of any good sources for beginners? I've checked several websites but haven't found one for beginners - the ones I've found so far take it for granted you have some basic understanding of PHP, which I don't, read: Beginner!

You can still use FFmpeg just make it so the only one uploading and converting anything is you. That way, you don't have to buy anything expensive.

As far as some good tools to learn PHP, I can certianlt recommend some books, but go to PHP.net and have a look at the echo functiob there are some rally basic type hello world examples and its good to start with the basics. Right now I'm posting from my mobile and will post those suggested books when I get home. Hope that helps.

Charlesh

QHF

Thanks for the reply. OK, I'm currently in the process of installing (uploading files) for phpmotion and setting up the SQL portion of it. I'll keep everyone updated; this is going to be interesting.

I will definitely check out PHP.net and any other resources you can recommend. I see your in Wichita, Kansas. I have a very good friend in Derby. Been through your area several times on my way to the west coast and Texas.

QHF

Great. My business is in Wichita and we actually live in Derby, just a few miles south. Funny how people here think that Derby is far away from Wichita and we moved here from Roswell, GA, which is about 4 times the distance from Atlanta than Derby is to Wichita.

Here is a great book I would recommend, so is this one and this one. The O'reilley (middle link) has a lot of great basic functions and gives you a good basic overview of the language, so does the first one as well. The other two have a lot of good examples of real-world applications, such as ecommerce, etc.

The best thing about being with Glowhost here is that your server is already set up for you - mySql and PhP. Having a local installation and having gone through trying to get Apache to talk to PHP to talk to MySQL, let me tell you that you've already got a leg up.

start with the basics and look at the examples on the php.net site. Download the php manual from the site as well - it is my primary resource. Another good forum that I use frequently when I get stuck is here. It is called the PHP Developers Network and there are a lot of good developers there to assist and a very good and friendly community like it is here in these forums.

Bottom line is, go write your first script and get a move on!

PHP Code:
    <?php
    echo "Hello World";
    ?>
    Charles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast