Thread: Outage in Atlanta Affects Many ISPs

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Default Outage in Atlanta Affects Many ISPs

GNAX datacenter experienced a building-wide outage at approximately 6:50 Pm EST today. Any servers in that datacenter that are not online already will be very shortly.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and please know that this was out of our direct control and numerous hosting service providers were affected.

We still don't have the exact reason but it sounds like either a core router or power outage is to blame. Will try to update if we get more information on the exact cause.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

This comes from the datacenter:

We were experiencing a brief network outage from one of our main providers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. The problem has been isolated and if your servers are not yet reachable they should be in a matter of moments. We do appreciate your patience and your business
    I don't know if any of you others out there had problems but I can verify I could not get to google or yahoo or any number of well known sites from South Florida using Bellsouth. Magically my Internet service was restored about the exact minute GNAX was accessable to me.

I am leaning to agree that this was a Tier One connectivity issue affecting more than just GNAX.

I will update when I find out more information on what really happened.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Okay it makes sense to me now that I was affected here in South Florida because 90% of the connections I have going out to the rest of the planet are routed through Atlanta from here.

Apparently Switch and Data, the building that "is home to the Southeast's largest concentration of telecommunication companies" had a power outage affecting one of their main PDU's.

GNAX DC2 (where most of our servers are located) is at that location so it sounds to me like lots of service providers including Bellsouth and whoever else gets routed through that Atlanta Hub were having problems as well.

Definately out of our control...glad they got it fixed in a timely fashion, and we appologize to anyone affected.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-10-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Christopher is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Matt

I 'm not sure if this affected Nicole but hings seem to be running great in New York, amd it seems to be much faster to boot!

Christopher

Well it wasn't isolated to one particular server, it was basically one of the major telco Hubs in Atlanta, which your ISP probably peers with, I know mine does.

So if things are better than before, thats great to hear