Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network problems at GNAX datacenter

GlowAlex is offline Master Glow Jedi

Default Network problems at GNAX datacenter

There are some problems with network at the datacenter.

Our main server was down for a while that's why we were unable post anything here.

Some servers are still down and we're contacting the NOC technicians regarding this. Updates will follow.

bdominick is offline I am a Glowru!

Looks like all GH servers are back up as of a minute or so ago. Can you tell me how often this kind of thing happens, and how long it was down total (the network monitor only goes back a couple of hours)? Looks like we were down for longer than GNAX's promised 99.999% uptime guarantee. Are there repercussions to them for that? I had 3 clients call me about their sites. One of them is very new and sounded very pissed.
    Brian Dominick
    | WebRoot Solutions
    | Server Administrator, Software Developer
    http://mywebroot.com

GlowAlex is offline Master Glow Jedi

Yes, all server are up now. If you are still facing any problems with your site please contact our support team.

bdominick: I'm not sure about the refunds so please ask Matt about that.

Well, GNAX didn't guarantee me anything directly, and I think GH's guarantee is a little more sensible. I'm not looking for a refund, I just hope you guys stick it to them on our behalf. It looks like there might have been some kind of power outage -- I can tell my server rebooted. To read GNAX's documentation, you'd think that was impossible...
    Brian Dominick
    | WebRoot Solutions

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

FYI - I read from GNAX a week ago that level 3 was servicing a router this morning. Probably had a lot to do with it.

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Welcome back GH, Everyone has to understand this was a problem with the GNAX network and as such out of GH hands. However I would like to add some constructive critisism (below). Any word from GNAX as to why a failure of this magnitude happened? It took nearly 5 hours from the problems to be rectified!

Constructive critisism:
    Please please GH could you get a hosting account in another datacentre which would host an emergency blog during such a situation? Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by andychev View Post
    Everyone has to understand this was a problem with the GNAX network and as such out of GH hands.
    Yeah, but since we GH clients cannot directly hold GNAX accountable, I do think it's within our right to expect GH to do that, by whatever means available. My clients don't give a **** if it's GNAX or GH or GOD to blame -- they are complaining to me. I can pass the buck all I want, but if my clients leave my company, I'm the one who pays, literally, so I want to know that GNAX gets hell for this kind of thing. I would contact them directly, but they don't know me from the next guy, and I don't write them checks.
    Brian Dominick
    | WebRoot Solutions

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by bdominick View Post
    Yeah, but since we GH clients cannot directly hold GNAX accountable, I do think it's within our right to expect GH to do that, by whatever means available. My clients don't give a **** if it's GNAX or GH or GOD to blame -- they are complaining to me. I can pass the buck all I want, but if my clients leave my company, I'm the one who pays, literally, so I want to know that GNAX gets hell for this kind of thing. I would contact them directly, but they don't know me from the next guy, and I don't write them checks.

I agree entirely, i think someone has to take this up with GNAX, and that someone is the person that pays gnax's bills, GH.

I hope your clients dont leave I really do feel for you I got of lightly as my server just blipped off then straight back on so wasnt down for more than about 5 minutes. However as i said 5 hours is a crazy amount of time, i would have been tearing my hair out especially as the main GH site was also down so information was limited.

I don't think anyone's going to leave me. I just point them to GNAX and tell them they're a huge datacenter and it could happen to anyone, etc, etc. I mean, anywhere they go, presumably, this COULD happen. It's just that my whole business is new, so all of my clients are somewhat new to me, and they're worried this might happen often. But I went through this forum and I can see it's only happened a few times over the years, and doesn't seem to have happened at all in 2007, so I feel reassured and I can in turn reassure them. I'm just glad I didn't give them a 99.999% uptime guarantee! Truth be told, I'm more likely to cause a long-term outage than GNAX is, hahaha.
    Brian Dominick
    | WebRoot Solutions

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Apparently, it was a battery backup unit that went bad is what I last heard.
    I have 4 servers on that same unit. One cost me the whiole morning to repair.
    I am not sure that it is even a GNAX problem. Which server was down 5 hours?

One big problem is that cpanel uses the ext3 filesystem instead of XFS or some other high reliability filesystem.

Depending on the situation, some of my servers have taken HOURS to come back on line - think back powering off your PC by accident and DOS or windows running scandisk for a week!

So with many linux file systems, if power is unexpectedly lost and it detects invalid dir entries, it runs fsck at startup to rebuild the filesystem and check for errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast