Thread: What is my IP Address?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Default What is my IP Address?

Check your IP Address
    By using this link above

What is your IP address?

Every Computer on the Internet has an IP address. Your local PC has an IP address, and our servers have an IP address. This is how computers can find each other. Similar to dialing a phone number, computers can find each other using IP addresses.

IP addresses resemble numbers like 111.111.111.111 or 12.234.2.567

In the dawn of the Internet, IP addresses were they way you were able to get from point A to point B.

Eventually the Domain Name System (DNS) was invented by some really smart person called Paul Mockapetris because he thought it was much easier to remember domain names and not IP addresses. Smart right?!?

Domain names are now mapped to IP addresses and one has to agree, they are easier to remember than a bunch of numbers.

Today we primarily use domain names to get to point A to point B, however IP addresses are still useful for many things like online gaming, VOIP applications, or in web hosting, diagnosing connectivity problems and solving firewall issues.

Check your IP address at the link above if you ever need it!
    Last edited by Matt; 11-09-2006 at 10:30 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

teammate is offline Junior Web Sage

What is the significance of all four digits? I am using a proxy server and both of my computers are showing same IP addresses.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Depending on the proxy server setup, the page may only tell you the IP of the proxy server. Many proxies are setup to try to hide the identity of the actual computer doing the surfing.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

trickyBizzness is offline Certified Glow Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Depending on the proxy server setup, the page may only tell you the IP of the proxy server. Many proxies are setup to try to hide the identity of the actual computer doing the surfing.
    ...And in some corners of the world, the entire country uses the same IP address...Meaning the entire country is forced to proxy through a central gateway just to get to the Internet.

I guess the US and most of the rest of the world is lucky to not have to have to all go through "one doorway" to the rest of the world. Talk about censorship!!!
    Hi!