Thread: MySQL remote host user access strangeness

bdominick is offline I am a Glowru!

Default MySQL remote host user access strangeness

I just found strange entries in some MySQL users I created on my server. I'm hoping someone can explain them. I'm not sure if they're abnormal, but I can't figure out how they got made or why. Hopefully just newbie confusion on my part...

I created a new db user for a specific database for a specific client account, let's call it "sam". Looking in phpMyAdmin, under the "Privileges" tab for that database, I see several hosts with various privileges for accessing the db as "sam" or as "root". Of course, localhost has priviveges. So does 192.168.1.%, which isn't too alarming, though I'm not sure exactly who that is or why it needs access, or if it's truly secure.

But "sam" has 72.171.5.145 listed as a host. I have no idea who that is. A DNS lookup didn't help. And "root" has a host called [removed] listed with full permissions. Not sure what that is, but I don't like the sound of it. In fact, for all db's the root user seems to have this [removed] host listed, though for the 72... IP only appears in custom users I create (or an installer creates) for a DB.

Am I ignorant of something here? Paranoid?
    Last edited by Matt; 12-04-2007 at 05:57 PM.

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Never saw anything like that. You should probably put in a ticket on this I would say.

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

PS

Since this is a cpanel thing, you will need to provide a login for support since they won't be able to see that without logging in to YOUR cpanel account. That is, I am assuming it is cPanel and not WHM that you are doing this?

No it is WHM. I have root on a dedicated server. I'll put in a ticket. Thanks!

I see the vB software removed one of the hostnames I had entered.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-04-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Matt is online now GlowHost Administrator

It was removed by me. I'd prefer that name not be dispalyed for security reasons.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |