Thread: Installing a Shopping Cart

classicsm is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Default Installing a Shopping Cart

Hey there...I'm considering a very, very basic website with a shopping cart. I'm looking at CityMax....unless i can figure it out myself. I certainly can make some tables with photo and description...but the shopping cart "Add to Cart" button...does that button programming come with the shopping cart that's in available in cPanel? Or do I have to build those commands myself?

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology.

I may opt for a merchant account later, but for now, I only want to accept PayPal. Do I need to go to PayPal for the cart, or is that supported in osCommerce?

Thanks for your help! Lisa

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Exactly. Shopping carts build the tables and buttons for you. You just enable paypal as the processor in the admin interface, and upload your pictures and descriptions and it does the formatting and link creation.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

See? That's why I'd rather do something with GlowHost. Where else am I going to get customer service like this?

Thanks Matt!

McDonalds is the only place I know that is faster. Well Taco Bell too.
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Oh, I'm back....looking through the SohoLaunch tutorials. So, I can take my existing website pages, and code them so I can edit them through SohoLaunch's interface?

For a new website (not the one I mentioned above ) if I create a site with SohoLaunch, is it live immediately, or can I play around with it, and then tell it to go live?

With SohoLaunch, I wouldn't need the separate shopping cart program, right?

There's so much in cPanel...I have to look into a PHP for dummies type thing, too! Thanks again for the help...Lisa

Haha! You let yourself out to eat??? Good to know!

Soholaunch is in beta and is not "officially" released/supported by us yet, but thats what they say. They have docs that say you can build your own templates and then soholaunch will interact with them if you don't like the stock templates that come with the site builder.

From my tests as soon as you install the soholaunch site builder, it overwrites your index page in public_html.

SohoLaunch Pro is the upgrade version that has the shopping cart. Not sure how robust it is but it probably is sufficient for a basic shopping cart.
    Last edited by Matt; 11-12-2006 at 09:01 PM.