Thread: Http is down on Olga

andreadoria is offline Junior Guru

Default Http is down on Olga

What's going on?
    Matt-agreated analyser.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

The tech that was on duty has a ticket here that said there was an account on the server that was receiving too many requests and it caused high load resulting in a reboot.

According to the ticket the site owner paid some service to receive 5000 visitors and apparently that service decided to send all 5000 visitors at the same time resulting in symptoms similar to a DDoS attack.

This account remains suspended and will be upgrading to a VPS, which means it will be moving off of the Olga server to eliminate the chance for a repeat.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

andreadoria is offline Junior Guru

Hehe paid visitors, right. I remember that one.

Most every shared host gets hit with this issue with some regularity, function of its user base, webmaster pays to be Ddosed under the guise of "buying bulk traffic". Maybe you should have a warning somewhere? Save you the hassle of restarting servers, naive webmasters the hassle of having to move/upgrade, and the cost of a pointless "service"... Not that they'll all read it, but might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the reply tho - it's a delight to be with a host that shares quality information, timely. 5 stars.
    Matt-agreated analyser.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

How's this:

=====================================
    WARNING:
    Most sites that offer you bulk traffic are not going to do anything good for you and may crash your site, or the server depending on how poorly written their software systems are. The traffic is rarely, if ever actually targeted traffic, which means bringing people to your site that have no interest in your site, and the legitimacy of the traffic is questionable.

Ask yourself, is it actually real live human beings visiting your site, or could it be robots programmed to look like people supplied the traffic vendor?
    =====================================

I am sure there are a few legitimate targeted traffic vendors out there, but I am also sure they are not cheap, (read: $10 for 10000 visitors) I would bet that the legit ones would not crash your server by sending all your visitors at once. I would venture to guess they have a control that allows you to throttle your traffic to prevent that sort of thing from happening.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-16-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

cornnfedd is offline Working on Master Status

yeah i noticed the http was down the other day but didnt look like it was for very long maybe only 10 minutes i reckon, anyway with these paid services if you had say adsense and they started clicking on the ads i reckon that would be a great way to get banned from adsense....

SO KEEP THAT iN MIND IF YOU BUY TRAFFIC YOU WILL BE BANNED BY GOOGLE