Thread: How To Select A Good Domain For Business?

chandanshivebharti is offline Junior Web Sage

Default How To Select A Good Domain For Business?

Hi,
    I want to know, How to select a good domain name?
    How To Select A Good Domain For Business?
    Last edited by Matt; 07-26-2017 at 12:01 AM.

GlowHost-James is offline Master Glow Jedi

That's a good question!

There are many strategies when it comes to selecting a good domain name for your business. Ultimately, you want to select something that is going to represent your business and is part of your branding. Lets take shoes. The name of your company is Joes Shoe Shop, Inc. What would be a great name for that? Obviously, you could use joesshoeshop.com or joesshoeshopinc.com. Well sure, that is long, but it represents your brand, name and image. But what is wrong here? There is a double S in the domain. It's easy to mistype and misspell. So what if our slogan for Joes Shoe Shop was "Best Shoes in the Nation", lame I know, but just for the purpose of this demonstration! We could then incorporate that in to our domain name, for example joesbestshoes.com or nationsbestshoes.com.

Lots of companies use multiple domain names that point to their brand. So you could use all those names above. This kind of strategy is called Keyword Domain Names. These are domains that are rich with high search terms related to your brand. For example, using Joes Shoe Shop again, we could in theory if the domains were available use shoes.com. It's short, punchy and it's keyword relevant. What about cheapshoes.com or qualityshoes.com. These are other keywords thatare still relevant to our brand.

Also, some choose something like shopjoes.com. It says exactly what you are going to be doing, shopping at Joes, but, it doesn't specify what Joes actually is.

Finally, it's worth noting that if the branding is right, the PR done correctly and you have a massive budget, it really doesn't matter what your domain name is. A great example of this is GoDaddy.com. If you mention that to most people, they will instantly tell you that its a domain registration and hosting company, but looking at the name, you wouldn't think it.

I hope this has given you some ideas and help.

Charlie is offline Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GlowHost-James View Post
    That's a good question!

There are many strategies when it comes to selecting a good domain name for your business. Ultimately, you want to select something that is going to represent your business and is part of your branding. Lets take shoes. The name of your company is Joes Shoe Shop, Inc. What would be a great name for that? Obviously, you could use joesshoeshop.com or joesshoeshopinc.com. Well sure, that is long, but it represents your brand, name and image. But what is wrong here? There is a double S in the domain. It's easy to mistype and misspell. So what if our slogan for Joes Shoe Shop was "Best Shoes in the Nation", lame I know, but just for the purpose of this demonstration! We could then incorporate that in to our domain name, for example joesbestshoes.com or nationsbestshoes.com.

Lots of companies use multiple domain names that point to their brand. So you could use all those names above. This kind of strategy is called Keyword Domain Names. These are domains that are rich with high search terms related to your brand. For example, using Joes Shoe Shop again, we could in theory if the domains were available use shoes.com. It's short, punchy and it's keyword relevant. What about cheapshoes.com or qualityshoes.com. These are other keywords thatare still relevant to our brand.

Also, some choose something like shopjoes.com. It says exactly what you are going to be doing, shopping at Joes, but, it doesn't specify what Joes actually is.

Finally, it's worth noting that if the branding is right, the PR done correctly and you have a massive budget, it really doesn't matter what your domain name is. A great example of this is GoDaddy.com. If you mention that to most people, they will instantly tell you that its a domain registration and hosting company, but looking at the name, you wouldn't think it.

I hope this has given you some ideas and help.

Thanks for your Information, I have got some idea. It is very helpful

alvina is offline Newbie

There are lots of things and technique you can use for selecting good domain. But important things is that what kind of business you have for which you want to buy domain. Classify your business work and details for better understanding of domain selection.

mekath is offline Newbie

Domain name have massive impacts on your brand and selecting a good domain for business is crucial so it should be selected on the basis of following ways:
    1. Keep it short
    2. If possible use keywords
    3. Numbers and hyphens should be ignored
    4. Make it pronounceable
    5. Make it memorable

Breeze is offline Banned

To Select a unique domain name for your business, simply follow the steps listed below:
    1. Easy to find
    2. Use specific keywords
    3. Short & simple
    4. Target location
    5. Prefer only words rather than numbers or hyphens
    6. Try to use the most appropriate domain extensions
    7. Avoid trademarked or copyrighted domain names
    8. Register favorite domain names fast as they are very cheap & sold quickly

Sean9568 is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

The domain name is your identity on the web, so make sure you choose a domain name that not only fits your business but is also easy to find and promote.
    Steps to choose good domain name:
    1. Keep it short
    2. Use keywords
    3. Easy to pronounce
    4. Avoid numbers
    5. Make it catchy

Jeff is offline Newbie

There seems to be fresh interest in this thread. It's been a while since I created one but here's my $.25 worth. Do a generic web search of a few words that best describe your idea for a site. Just one at a time. Note the results. A word with very few results is not recommended, not popular enough. A word with millions of results is not specific enough. You want something in between, say under 100,000 results. Collect 4-6 words in this range. Go to go daddy or your other favorite domain name monger and start experimenting with a combination of your words. 2 words is preferable as most single word domains are already gone. You can go to three words but that will make a google search very nonspecific. The reason for picking a good domain name is to make it easy for people to find your niche. Pick two short relevant words and you will have a domain name as good as any and better than lots of them. As you experiment with your word choices you will be offered suggestions by the domain name host. Hey! I have seen suggestions on that list better than names in use on the web. In the end you will have to pick one and run with it. Good Luck, Have Fun.

Sean9568 is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    There seems to be fresh interest in this thread. It's been a while since I created one but here's my $.25 worth. Do a generic web search of a few words that best describe your idea for a site. Just one at a time. Note the results. A word with very few results is not recommended, not popular enough. A word with millions of results is not specific enough. You want something in between, say under 100,000 results. Collect 4-6 words in this range. Go to go daddy or your other favorite domain name monger and start experimenting with a combination of your words. 2 words is preferable as most single word domains are already gone. You can go to three words but that will make a google search very nonspecific. The reason for picking a good domain name is to make it easy for people to find your niche. Pick two short relevant words and you will have a domain name as good as any and better than lots of them. As you experiment with your word choices you will be offered suggestions by the domain name host. Hey! I have seen suggestions on that list better than names in use on the web. In the end you will have to pick one and run with it. Good Luck, Have Fun.
    Yes, it is a good idea to pick 2-3 words, experiment with them and check the suggestions.