Thread: How compatible are Macs with website hosting?

SallyDP is offline Junior Web Sage

Default How compatible are Macs with website hosting?

I want to think that having a Mac is not a terrible problem when it comes to setting up a website... I keep reading all around and I see people mainly using PCs. Now, I have an iBook, and always been using Macs. I have to put up with stuff like not having full features with internet programs: From using MSN groups to even MSN Messanger, the features for Mac users were not all available (I believe Bill Gates is behind this )
    How easy, or better yet, how compatible are Mac systems when one wants to set up a website? Are there tutorials available? Or it is something only reserved for PCs? Sorry about my ignorance, but here is the perfect place to ask these questions!

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Setting up a website isn't the problem. There is adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver for that. The problems come in when using Javascript. Safari just aggrevates me everytime I use it! I think Steve has Gatesitis! Like Bill, they have their own quirkyness that is just a horror to debug. The Console is basically worthless. Looks like I have to upgrade to OSX 10.4 to get proper tools, but thats because I am programming highly interactive sites. For normal sites with maybe a forum or ecommerce, there should be no issues for you. The problem is that these other sites set up THEIR websites to be windows-centric, but that doesn't mean YOU have to.
    So I would say you should be just fine. Firefox for the Mac is excellent!

Thnak you so much! This is like an exploration to me. I know NOTHING about real programing, but even one of my friends was telling me that there are tutorials that can guide me "step by step" while setting up a website. Also, just few days ago I downloaded FireFox, and I'm surprised because it is very fast, but something weird happened: I was trying to input some info required by a site and didn't allow me to do so! Then, I changed browsers and used Safari, and I could do it. I think the Firefox for Macs is still not "widely compatible".

I was trying to input some info required by a site
    I'd be interested in the link. What I find is that Firefox adheres to the standards more than IE or Safarim so I would say the SITE wasn't compatible (g) - but I do find in many ways that Safari is closer to IE when it 'breaks the rules'

The site is a financial site, Fidelity.com, banking basically, and it wouldn't allow me to input anything. Good thing I was on the phone at the same time with the representative, and he was the one guiding me into the process, so when I couldn't input anything I told him I was using FireFox and it was newly installed. I changed to Safari right away and proceeded to complete the whole process. I guess maybe FireFox is not "accepted" by everybody yet? Just a wild guess...

Hmmmmm........
    I just logged into my fidelity account, viewed positions, went to sell some shares and got to the preview all without issue.
    But thats the world of computers for you....

I think Firefox is WIDELY accepted as a viable browser and has taken some usage away from IE.

In any event, I think the main answer is that for the most part, the Mac has a place and should not compromise your ability to create a site.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Oh, and Macs are VERY compatible with cPanel hosting. The guys that write cPanel use Mac computers, which is something that surprised me.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |