Thread: FTPS How To

JohnMorris is offline Certified Glow Sage

Default FTPS How To

Hi,

So, I'm a new user for GlowHost. My first step is to figure out FTPS, which I have so far failed to do. I know GH can do this: "FTP Accesss is available 24/7/365. There are no time windows that you are restricted from your FTP account. Our FTP servers are configured for long timeout periods so that you will not be automatically kicked off the system if you are inactive for a short period of time. For security minded individuals, we offer FTP over TLS (FTPs)."

But a search of both the Knowledge Base and the Forums for "FTPS" didn't turn up anything usable.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, the lack of questions means what? Does no one use it?

Thanks!

John

Default Clarify FTPS ~= SFTP

Just in case anyone was wondering, I'm asking about "FTPS" (FTP over SSL/TLS), not "SFTP" (SSH File Transfer Protocol). I just want to transfer files securely and have the login also managed securely, which FTP doesn't. This is one reason why I moved to GH.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

I haven't had much luck with FTPS in general in the past, I had to use some FTP'ers I was not fond of to get it to work.

I just checked those, and they are no longer working. I am wondering if cPanel 11 has killed this functionality. I will have to research it some more and get back with you on it.

In answer to your other question, yes, it is not that popular. Most people prefer SFTP because it too is secure, and doesn't suffer from disconnect timeouts like regular FTP and FTPS do.

Lately, I have been using WS_FTP and Dreamweaver, both of which support SFTP.

Would you like us to research it more or will SFTP work for you? In the mean time I will get our site updated to show SFTP until we figure out what happened to FTPS over TLS.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-24-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Matt,

Thanks. I am using freeSSHd locally, but kind of wanted to do FTPS to my new host. You really need to update the part of the website that says GlowHost does FTP via TLS then. Can you check please what is required? I'm thinking that for the less-sophisticated user (i.e. not wanting to do the full SSH thing), that FTPS is easier and perhaps even less risky? I don't know if everyone agrees? I may look at SSH to see what it looks like. Bottom line is secure connections without plaintext passwords etc. Anyway, thanks!

John

freeSSHd is a little bit daunting for a novice user, last time I looked it was for the local (windows) machine. I wasn't sure if you could connect to a remote host with it. Never got to playing with it too much I suppose.

Are you planning on having them connect with a regular FTP program or what is the plan? I ask because the interface is exactly the same for FTP and SFTP and almost all the FTP'ers out there now support SFTP in the connection settings.

Less risky? I don't think so. SSH / SFTP encrypts all the data being transferred including username and password.

Easier? No, I don't see why it would be. The level of difficulty for both SFTP and FTPS is editing the connection setting in the FTP program to use one or the other. Outside of that, there is no noticeable difference to the end user, except that with SFTP they don't get disconnected for 1800 seconds vs 900 seconds on FTPS.

Bottom line is secure connections without plaintext passwords etc.
    If that is the main concern SFTP is right for you and I consider it better than FTPS because of the disconnect issue with FTPS.

PS we had the site updated last night to say SFTP instead of FTPS
    Last edited by Matt; 10-25-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Alright we got it figured out. I think the recent update to cPanel 11 killed it. What server are you on and I will make sure we get FTPS setup for you before we update the entire fleet.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-25-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Matt,

Omigosh, you are going to put FTPS back in? I'm on Olga.

This sounds good!

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by JohnMorris; 10-26-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Olga should be good to go.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-26-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Matt,

Thanks!

John