Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domain Name

QHF
    QHF is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

I guess I've lost myself and you. Let's take this a setp at a time so I don't get discombobulated.
    1. Currently we have a domain and website. This domain still has a year to go before it has to be renewed, currently no plans to renew.
    2. We will be registering a new domain soon.
    3. Your saying, if I understand correctly, because we have the current domain as our root domian, when we register the new domain it will be an addon domain.
    Am I understanding so far?
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

You are understanding #1 and #2

With #3 you actually need to go register a domain at a site like InstaPro.net and once you own that domain, then you point the nameservers for that domain to the same nameservers as your root domain.

Once you have done that, you can tell cPanel to make an addon domain, at which point, your cPanel will now have options for both the root domain and any configured addon domains.

Plan B is to order a new hosting account for the new domain and keep the control panels and FTP space separate which is my vote only because I find addon domains extremely annoying in the way that cPanel creates them.

The other issue with addon domains is they don't take SSL easily. They can be a pain in the butt to migrate later, should you ever require a standalone cPanel account, and support ticketing can be slower because many times someone opens a ticket requesting info for an addon domain and not a root domain and it takes some extra steps to track down what exactly they are talking about if they do not give all the details.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-28-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

QHF

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Plan B is to order a new hosting account for the new domain and keep the control panels and FTP space separate which is my vote only because I find addon domains extremely annoying in the way that cPanel creates them.
    This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you for the clear heads at GlowHost! Two separate cPanels, one for the current domain and one for the new corporate domain. I think I finally understand. When I get the final approval, I'll open a new hosting account and register the new domain name through Glowhost. I'll get back to you soon.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

QHF

OK, our foundation CEO registered a new domain through GlowHost and purchased a new hosting account yesterday. She received the order customer receipt/purchase confirmation almost immediately by return email. I was contacted about an hour ago and so far I'm told she did not receive a phone call to confirm the order, or the welcome email with the new account login information.

I was forwarded the confirmation email so I checked the MyGlow account manager and it shows only one domain, the current domain. Shouldn't the Account Manager show two domains, the current one and the new one registered yesterday?

Should I open a trouble ticket? I have all the new account details, as I was given a copy the the purchase receipt. Because I am the technical contact, would it be possible to send me a copy of the welcome letter that contains the new domain login informaiton?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by QHF; 06-06-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Its best to open a trouble ticket if we are referencing account specific information and not generalized questions that would not benefit the other members of this forum. Thanks.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

QHF

Thanks Matt,

I'll open a ticket right away.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12