Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Name

QHF
    QHF is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Question Domain Name

Mat,

How do I go about changing a Domain name? The organization's website I help maintain is restructuring and they want to change their name as part of the reorganization.

QHF

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello, if you need to change the main domain name of the account, you just need to open a ticket for support department, we'll do it for you.

QHF

Thank you Alex S. As soon as a final dicision is made about the new Domain name, I'll open a support ticket.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Sure, always glad to help.

QHF

I now have a new Domain name. Just waiting until all the legalities are finished with the IRS and the State before I open the help ticket to have the domain name changed with GlowHost. Question, what will happen to the present site? Will the domain name change break everything? Will it still be accessible to copy over?

Per directive I've created an addon domain, password protected it, and am using it to build a new site using Soholaunch Pro I found in CPanel. The CEO wanted me to develop an new site to go with the new domain name, but wants the option of going back to the current site, just in case. I am building the new site using an addon domain under the current domain. Will the new site under the addon domain still be available after the name change or should I back up the new site to my local PC and restore when the new domain goes live?

I just want to understand the mechanics of the change, I have to present to management this Thursday on how this domain change will work. Hope you guys can make me look good!

Thanks!

QHF
    Last edited by QHF; 05-27-2008 at 09:45 PM.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

sergey is offline Master Glow Jedi

It depends on what option you will choose. If you choose only to change your main domain name, the site will be available under your addon domain name. However it's recommended to not have any addon domain names if you want to change your main domain name because it will cause some issues and some domains will disappear from your cPanel. We recommend to terminate the account from the server and create an account with your new domain name. We will generate a backup of your account before termination so you can restore the files from it in case you need them.

QHF

Thanks for the information Sergey. But I made a mistake with the informaiton I gave in an earler post. What I have a Sub-domain, not an Add-on on the current account. The current path is; public_html/subdomain.maindomain.org. Given what I asked about in the earlier post, does this change things?

QHF
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well one way to do it is to delete the subdomain via cpanel then create an addon domain using the specified folder.

The other way to do it is to create a new cPanel account and upload the files to that.

But I think this is all overly complicated when you could have just hosted the new domain that they wanted and built the site on the new domain. Its not like robots or humans are going to stumble across the new site, and if they do, so what?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

QHF

I just emailed the CEO about this very thing and am waiting for a response. Going back, I found that the current domain will not expire for another year and a totally new domain is to be registered, this new domain will be the new main corporate site. Now, If I leave the current site structure with the subdomain intact, the old domain should still be accessible in CPanel, correct? It seems to me, I should see the current (old) domain and the newly registered domain in CPanel, or is this wrong.

QHF
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by QHF View Post
    I just emailed the CEO about this very thing and am waiting for a response. Going back, I found that the current domain will not expire for another year and a totally new domain is to be registered, this new domain will be the new main corporate site.
    Ok I am with you....

Quote Originally Posted by QHF View Post
    Now, If I leave the current site structure with the subdomain intact, the old domain should still be accessible in CPanel, correct? It seems to me, I should see the current (old) domain and the newly registered domain in CPanel, or is this wrong.
    I think you lost me.

What are you trying to do? What old domain? You mean the root domain for this account? Yes it will always be there, cPanel is associated with one root domain and "X" other addon domains can be added.

You are not going to see the new domain until you add it in the addon domain configuration.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast