Thread: Windows Vista

Angie is offline No longer a Newbie

Default Windows Vista

Has anyone yet updated to Widows Vista yet from XP, and if so is there much of a great difference. My PC is just over 2 years old so I would need to buy a new PC to upgrade Windows to Vista so I am just wondering if it is worth it?

KarlC is offline Newbie

I've tried it. Honestly not worth it and full of problems (for me at least). I suggest staying with XP. It is still supported, so you should not run into any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Has anyone yet updated to Widows Vista yet from XP, and if so is there much of a great difference. My dedicated server is just over 2 years old so I would need to buy a new PC to upgrade Windows to Vista so I am just wondering if it is worth it?
    Last edited by Matt; 05-05-2008 at 03:27 PM.

QHF
    QHF is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

I agree with KarlC about Vista vs XP. But keep in mind that Microsoft has a scheduled date of 4/14/2009 for an End of Life on XP, meaning they will no longer support it or sell it. Currently the EOL for businesses is 2014, but home users at that time will be apparently out of luck.

There is a movement to extend the EOL date for all users until Vista is more stable and Microsoft is "considering" it.

Back to Vista! On top of the increased hardware requirements to run Vista, there is Vista Service Pack 1 which is about half a gig is size! Can you say Giant Bug Fix? Add to that, poor driver support, (drivers for older printers and other devices), and you have all the requirements for total frustration.
    QHF

"This is an Emergency?"

cornnfedd is offline Working on Master Status

at first i had lots of problems with vista, it took a month or so to settle down, if you leave all the 'bells and whistles' on then it will run slow - eg: when i had NOTHING loaded except standard vista programs that load on start up it was using 1GIG of memory...

anyway over time i have deleted or uninstalled or turned off all the crap and its not too bad now.

dont worry too much about vista - wait until you try the latest ms office applications, now they are really really crap!

NevadaSam is offline Junior Web Sage

WOw, an only thread, but my feelings about vista has not changed since then. I just think XP Pro is all I will need for a while.