Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate viruses!!!

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Found this on VirtualTruck: http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/arch...s_virtual.html
    What is VirtualTruck?

Q. My computer runs very well and boots up very fast. The only problem is that I have this window that pops up on the screen during the boot process and also shows up in the system tray where it lingers for about five minutes, at which time I can click on it to close it. I can't open anything until it disappears from the tray. The window says VirtualTruck Reboot Helper and, in greyed out text, Insert the VirtualTruck CD. What is this and how do I fix it?
    A. This program is part of your high speed DSL Internet provider's software install. It is the Broadjump Client and is part of the self-setup for many DSL providers. This is software you likely installed when you first connected your computer to your ISP.
    The error message would tend to indicate that there is a problem with the program and it needs to be re-installed or some files replaced.
    If you insert the CD provided to you by your ISP when it is asking you for the VirtualTruck CD it should clear up the problem.
    The software is not required to run your computer or connect to your ISP, so you could just uninstall the program to be rid of this annoyance.
    Go to Add/Remove Programs and look for Broadjump Client Foundation and uninstall it. This will remove the program from your system altogether....
    Safemode and disabling startup items...

If you do have an adware/spyware/malware program running, it's been my experience, that it usually is set to startup whenever you reboot or turn on your system. By disabling the startup items and booting into safemode (mine is F8 during reboot) you can run the antivirus tools from the admin profile.

If you can't run your anti-virus in safemode at least you can prevent the bad programs from starting right away and have an opportunity to remove them. Not to mention the space you can save by not having all your programs start when your computer does.

I hope you get it all resolved, I know how frustrating it can be. My 15 year old son is my greatest challenge when it comes to removing this kind of stuff - at least yearly we have to spend 3 or 4 days getting his system cleaned up due to something he's gotten playing games or whatever online. At least he keeps me challenged and learning new things!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Dump the truck....

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...d9256fe8ac60b=
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...t=29310&page=1
    http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/arch...s_virtual.html

As rlhanson asks:
    > Do you know how to disable your startup items

This sounds like it would be the easiest.
    click start - run
    type msconfig
    go to the 'startup' tab and find the truck and uncheck

vorpalbunny is offline Certified Glow Sage

Thanks, rlhanson and jmarcv! I finally got it cleared up, and without losing my MS Office Suite and other programs, so I'm especially happy!

If there was any spyware the system restore seems to have taken care of it, and now that VirtualTruck is gone - well, I don't want to jinx my luck by saying that everything is great, so I'll just stick with being happy and very, very relieved!

(BTW, LOL@ "My 15 year old son is my greatest challenge when it comes to removing this kind of stuff - at least yearly we have to spend 3 or 4 days getting his system cleaned up due to something he's gotten playing games or whatever online. At least he keeps me challenged and learning new things!" Kids are such an adventure, aren't they? )

Allow me to offer a huge "Thank you!" to everyone who helped!

Best,

vb

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default Browser Hijacking

From what you describe about your homepage not being the same and all of that, it sounds like you had your browser hijacked. This is indeed a very frustrating thing to have happen, but rolling the computer back may be like killing a fly with a sledgehammer.

I have some friends and family who I "take care of" with computers (you know those phone calls, i'm sure) and I can remove a browser hijacking pretty easily with a program called hijack this. You can find it here: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

It's not the most intuative interface, but is quite effective. The way I use it is I run a scan and I look for anything else I haven't installed on my browser (or anything I can't remember installing), such as googletoolbar, yahoo, or whatever. If you see something fishy in the scan, then copy that file's name and google it. Chances are you'll find a lot of sites out there that tell you the steps to remove whatever you got. Sometimes its deleting a .dll, sometimes it's removing a certain program from the program files and then deleting something in the registry, rebooting, rinse, wash, repeat, etc.

I uploaded a sample of a HijackThis scan on my computer http://helpdeveloper.com/hijack.html

For example, I didn't recognize the file, tp4ex.exe, so I googled it and found that it had to do with the laptop trackpoint mouse that I have or something - therefore, benign. Do this with anything fishy and if it is a virus, you will be able to find lots of information on it out there and how other people had removed it in the past, successfully.

Hope this helps.

CharlesH

tella.star is offline Newbie

same here, i hate viruses too. and btw, nice hread i learn a lot from the previous responses.

chuckles1978 is offline Newbie

Default So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My computer got 43 viruses 2 days ago after visiting a website and Dell had to completely wipe out my hard-drive and restore it to how it was 7 months ago when my Dad bought it for me. Luckily, he bought a really good 2 year warranty, so if that happens 2 more times, Dell will restore it to how it was new as of 12/07, BUT I lost everything saved on my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    VIRUSES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

I wish my dad was still buying me computers when I was 30, hehe.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-06-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chuckles1978 View Post
    ... so if that happens 2 more times, Dell will restore it ...
    You should learn how to do it yourself. If a Dell technician can do it, anyone can!

allmywebsite1 is offline Banned

Every body hate the virus nobody will love it.so its not only ur problem ,it is the problem of all.

---------------------
    I was banned and had my signature removed because I was a very bad person and spammed these forums. Do not be like me!
    Last edited by Matt; 01-02-2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Spammer Pukes

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Everybody hates spammers too. Buh-Bye!
    Last edited by Matt; 06-26-2008 at 01:05 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast