Thread: Calls from Domain Registry Support

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Default Calls from Domain Registry Support

These guys are ridiculous.

They call you based on information they find on out dated WHOIS records. One just called here inquiring about a domain name that we had not held for over a year, if not longer.

This is the second time these chuckleheads have called me personally. I guess that will teach me to leave my private cell # on any domains

This smells almost like the Domain Registry of America slamming practices by their tactics, though I really was not able to figure out exactly what they wanted. I an only have my suspicions.

So the phone call goes like this:

Matt: Hello this is Matt

The Other End: ......pause......

Matt: Thinks.....Oh great, a telemarketer... I could have sworn I was on the "do not call list." Oh, and they are calling my cell phone? Hmmm. Mad before I even started talking.....

The Other End: This is Domain Name Support and I am calling about your contact information for (insert domain here)....

Matt: Who are you with?

DRS: This is Joe with Domain Registry Support.
    (Joe? LOL. There are no "Joe's" where this guy was calling from)

Matt: Domain Registry Support for Who?

DRS: This is Domain Registry Support.

Matt: Yeah, I got that. But for what registrar are you calling from?

DRS: Domain Registry Support. (now sounding somewhat annoyed at me)

Matt: Okay, lets try this another way, what is it you are trying to sell me?

DRS: We are not trying to sell you anything. We just need your current contact information for (insert domain here)

Matt: I am not going to give you my contact information until you tell me who you work for and what it is you want...

---This is where it gets really bizarre, and I really don't remember the exact words of the conversation at this point because I was concentrating on how bizarre this person was on the other end of the line.

Next thing I know he is yelling at me.

Imagine it! They call me on my cell phone, in the middle of a work day, ask me for my private contact information, then scream at me when I don't give it to them.

Quite the event I must say. A stranger calls and in less than 30 seconds a screaming match erupts. Funny part is I think "Joe" was the one that hung up on me. First time a telemarketer every hung up on me!

It was so bizarre I just thought I would post about it in the forums and see who else this has happened to. I know it's not just me.

I am wondering what happened to those that actually gave them their contact info.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-09-2007 at 06:24 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Guess what i had through the post this morning!

A lovely letter from the cowboys at 'domain registry of america' saying one of my domains is due to expire and an invoice for its renewal.

I feel quite sorry for the people who receive these letters and for want of a better word get 'conned' into renewing their domain with these people at their ridiculous prices, £18 for a years registration on a .com, around $40 - $45!

They are so cleverly worded that the 'average joe' (possibly a uk term?!) would be so scared they would use them. Gets me fuming!

Advice to anyone who gets one, Shred It!

Yeah, we have a thread on Domain registry of America too

Domain registry Support actually calls you on the phone. I would not be surprised to find out they were the same company.

FrankT is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default The Friendly Folks At Domain Registry of America

I just got a letter from DRA; it does imply that my domain name will be sold off to bounders, cads, and ne'er-do-wells if they don't receive a payment from me by return mail.

I signed in to my account and see that my domain isn't up for renewal until February of 2007. Which really isn't that far away, but I jolly well won't be using DRA to renew.

Do I renew through glowhost, or through another party? I can't recall how I set up the domain name in the first place.

But thanks for the warning about DRA!

Sure no problemo.

Put a link to your site in your forum signature if you want to gain some extra traffic from our site to yours. Plus that way I can look it up for you

I need to run a WHOIS on the domain to see what you need to do about renewal. if you dont want to make it public, just PM me or open a trouble ticket.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-12-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Matt!

My site is:

www.franktuttle.com

I'll add it to my sig, too.

In your case Frank, you have a free domain name so our system is going to invoice you like a regular hosting bill in February. Then if you pay for your February bill, we will renew the domain at no charge for you.

Hey, that's easy enough!

Thanks for checking. If I get 'the call' from DRA, I'll do my Chinese restaurant thing and read the menu over and over until they hang up.

These guys just called me again. Since I own about 100 domains I assume I have about 97 calls more to come.

This time I will do you all a favor. I got the number from called ID this time, so feel free to add it to your blocked callers

1-888-514-7411

SallyDP is offline Junior Web Sage

My God! I thought all that information was kept confidential! I mean, I know about the WHOIS, but I actually never paid attention to the data. I've seen addresses, but I don't remember seeing phone numbers. I guess that is something to be aware for me in the future! Thanks for sharing the info!