Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Glowhost

MyWeaverville is offline Junior Web Sage

Default About Glowhost

I've always made the assumption that Glowhost is a small company, run by Matt and a few others who help guide me through support requests. Am I right about that or is there a billionaire wizard hiding behind a curtain somewhere?

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

I am the invisible billionaire, always watching from behind the curtain, ready at any moment to zap Matt or any other support person who gives an incorrect answer into a google of atoms spinning out of control into some other hosting companies portals! Mwa ha haaaaaa!!!!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

You are right, there are no bazillionairres here. No millionairres here either. Definitely a few eccentrics though

What made you ask the question?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

MyWeaverville is offline Junior Web Sage

I'm working with some folks who want only to work with locally-owned or small business owners. I know you aren't actually in this local area, but I'm still looking for someone around here who provides the same level of service I've gotten from you. I've had different clients host with you since 2004, so I'm not exactly a newcomer, although this particular account is. Thanks!

Well, we were considering a move to Asheville. Does that count?

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Matt, fancy a UK arm.....

Ok I'll bite. What is a UK arm?

Sorry, perhaps a UK phrase, a company would have different arms located in different countries around the world so you could have Glowhost USA, Glowhost UK, Glowhost .... Servers located around the world...... you would probably need that hidden billionaire to finance it tho

In fact that is an interesting thought, is there a worldwide hosting company? Ie one that you can sign up to a pick a physical location where your server will be? I cant think of one....

Actually its not as hard as one would think. All we need to do is what most of the other hosts do, which is advertise that we have servers in multiple countries. There are a few that do this to make them look larger than they actually are. All they have done is lease or colo a $200-$300 server in some other datacenter than their primary location.

Problem is finding reliable datacenters. GNAX is just so good that I have not even bothered shopping for another DC in the US let alone abroad. We went through 4 or 5 datacenters in the early days of GlowHost and pretty much have found out home in Atlanta.

Though, I think it might be a good idea at some point to offer servers that are "closer to home" as a lot of people think this is important to have. I'd imagine you will see something like this on our site at some point in the future. Great minds think alike

But for now, speeds are still fast from here to the UK right?

Speeds are fine, they are consistent and reliable which is the most important factor.

The uk is interesting when it comes to hosting. I have searched high and low for a company that does dedicated cpanel servers located in the uk, i dont belive a company currently exists (im not going anywhere even if they do!). A lot of hosting in the uk comes primarily from servers located in amsterdam and germany but reliability is an issue, there are also vat complications with that.

Another reason for location of servers is tax issues and laws, you would be supprised how complicated where you host can be. An online company could be registered in the uk but have servers located in the US, whos laws apply?! Answers on a postcard!, i get a different answer everytime i ask someone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast