Thread: Question About Password Protecting Directory

classicsm is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Default Question About Password Protecting Directory

I want to be sure I'm understanding the password protect function. If I password protect the files with my images--for instance, the directory with the images that make up my eBay template-- the images will still be able to be seen, right? Someone without the password just can't access the files on the server?

What if I have an .avi file in http://www.xyz.com/movies/abc.avi. If I have the movies directory password protected, and I send someone this URL, they would need the password to view the movie?

Thanks for your help! Lisa

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

If you password protect your images folder, and have an HTML page that embeds that image into the page, the user trying to view the page would have to know the username and password to actually see the image.

What will happen is the page will load, then they will get a login prompt and if they enter in the username and password, the images will load on the page. If they cancel the login, the images will show big red "x"s and missing images.

If you don't want someone to see all the available images in your images folder simply put a blank page called index.html or you can use .httaccess rules to prevent directory listings or many other things. Another option is to use the index manager in cPanel which will allow you to turn directory indexes on or off for a particular directory (folder)

All it is essentially doing is writing the .htaccess file for you in my above option.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-24-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

classicsm is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Matt. I'll do some reading on the access rules. Have a good one! Lisa