Thread: .MOBI, why is it so expensive?

SallyDP is offline Junior Web Sage

Default .MOBI, why is it so expensive?

Bare with me, since I am really new with this things and looking into having my own website. I've noticed that the domain names registration is not that expensive, but .MOBI is so much more! Why is that? Future popularity? Unexplored territory? I'm curious to know. I want to register a .com, but what would be good or not of registering a .MOBI?

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

cause its new?

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6075779.html
    Malhotra said there's no reason why developers of mobile Web sites can't use technology that identifies whether a user is accessing a site from a mobile device or a PC, so that content is rendered in the appropriate format. Many large companies, such as Google and Yahoo, are already doing this.

Despite his reservations, Malhotra believes most big brands will spend the roughly $200 to register their dot-mobi names anyway, because they will want to protect their names from cybersquatters. (By contrast, dot-com domains sell for about $10 to $20.) But he said it's unlikely companies will market a separate dot-mobi domain to consumers. Instead, mobile Internet users will be encouraged to use a single dot-com address that can be accessed from a PC as well as a cell phone

SallyDP is offline Junior Web Sage

So I guess it would be a great idea to invest in domains with .MOBI!
    I am really not an expert whatsoever, b ut I have the feeling that people that can program and develop websites, can start doing something, or at least registering domains related with the iPhone, if they are not all taken. Just thinking of it from the investement point of view!

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Having lost my butt in the stock market, I won't be making any tips for ya!
    But I don't know enough about it other than to know its a big investment, and pretty sketchy if you ask me. Besides, it sounds like they are out to keep the scalpers out somehow,
    All other names will be able to register for a dot-mobi address beginning Aug. 28.
    So that gives companies plenty of time to get their names before investors do, which kind of sours the return a bit I would think.