Thread: Bacula On Glow?

JohnMorris is offline Certified Glow Sage

Default Bacula On Glow?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to use Bacula for backup, on Olga?

I'm experimenting with Bacula on Ubuntu at home and think it might be worth using the same platform everywhere. Does this make sense?

Thanks,

John

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

What do you want to backup? The site? Or do you want to put your backups created on your local PC on your GlowHost Server for remote safekeeping?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

JohnMorris is offline Certified Glow Sage

Default Bacula in Both Directions

Matt,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Actually, now that you ask, it would be worthwhile to pump data in both directions. I'd have Bacula at home (or the office) pumping MySQL and files up for safe keeping. And I'd have Bacula at GlowHost pumping data downwards. It would be a daily incremental and weekly full sort of thing with a monthly rotation. I guess I'm sort of assuming that since you are deployed on Linux, that you could probably host it? Bacula is getting pretty popular. But as a bit of a newbie, I wasn't sure if you have to install it, or if I can install it. I would have to get one of my smart friends to actually do the config. Funny thing about backups is you have to get alot of details right, or you can't really be confident.

I suspect a lot of people would be interested in something powerful, robust and comprehensive -- and oddly enough easier to use than the usually melange of scripts and different tools which are both difficult to configure and difficult to understand -- which means less security of backup. Backup needs to be transparent in order to be sure.

FWIW, thanks!

John

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Hmmm, well I took a quick peek at their site and there were LOTS of docs on their site. If you want to link me to the installation docs I can have a look at them and tell you what needs to happen for it to work.

I am sure it can be installed just fine, but without looking, I'd guess it probably would need to be installed by root, which means you'd need a VPS or Dedicated server from us if you do not have one already.

Let me know what you find!
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |