Thread: Single Account, Multiple Domains to WHM Account

rickpugh is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default Single Account, Multiple Domains to WHM Account

So here is it... let me see if I can put this in english and not jibberish...

I have been on the 4 star plan for almost two years. I own a total of four domains. I have kept two parked, and two active.

ricknlisa.com - active
    tinyasapea.com - active
    sweetpeamedia.com - parked
    thescrapfairy.com - new (parked)

From my four star account I have been running two domains.... the primary domain for my hosting account (ricknlisa.com) and an add on domain (tinyasapea.com).

I recent upgraded to the WHM Mini Plan and I wish to have a seperate hosted account for each of my domains and make them all active.

Here is my problem... The ammount of space that I have that is currently being used by ricknlisa.com and tinyasapea.com does not allow me enough space to create the new accounts and migrate them all.....

So how do I implement all of the new accounts with my current space requirements? It is very important that I have no downtime or outage on the Tinyasapea.com domain because I am currently hosting auction images and listings for eBay on this site and domain.

I was thinking that I should just download all my site info to my local pc, delete all the accounts (this would free all my space), create the new accounts with WHM, then upload the site info back up to the new account location.... Is this the best way?

Thanks very much!
    Rick
    Thanks,

Rick

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Addon domains are hard to do without downtime as a reseller, on the same server.

But essentially what you need to do is create the accounts in WHM, upload the files, and then when you are done, delete the addon domains. You might make sure a tech is handy to be there for you when you start deleting the addon domains because I have seen issues with cPanel getting confused and the site goes down, in which case you need someone with root access to the server to correct this.

The other option is to get another temporary hosting account, upload the sites to the remote server, point the domain's DNS to that one, which will safely avoid downtime, remove the addon domains in your main account, THEN make individual accounts for each domain in your WHM, upload the sites via FTP or transfer cPanel backups of them, then re point the DNS back to tour main server.

The last is the best way if you cannot afford downtime. If you want to risk a short while of POSSIBLE downtime then you can try the first method.

As for your quota issue, you could upgrade to accommodate more space, or, set your own package for ricknlisa.com. Currently it still sits on a 4 star plan but if you make your own packages in WHM you can free up some quota. ricknlisa is allotted 500 megs but only uses just over 300 of actual space. Make a plan that has 350 megs of available space for that site, then make packages for each site that match actual usage.

After you free up one addon domain you can edit one of those packages to allow more space. For example, ricknlisa.com should not use as much space after you ditch the addon domain in that account.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

rickpugh is offline Practically a Glow Sage

I like the option you gave of using a temp hosting account and repointing the dns.... Do you have an account you could make available to me for week or so?

The only domain that I have any concern of keeping up is Tinyasapea.com so I thought I could use the temp account for this domain.

Let me know... if you need to take this conversation to email please use the hotmail account I have onfile.

As always.... thanks very much for the quick reply, good advise, and great support!

- Rick
    Thanks,

Rick

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Glad to help.

Email sent with temp logins, just make sure to let me know when you are done so I can free up space on that server.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |