Thread: recursive permisisons

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default recursive permisisons

I am experimenting with cs-cart. Thanks, Matt, for the idea. I think it is going to work out. They reccomend running the cart on a apache mod type server, but for security reasons, I am going to try it on a fast -cgi server. They require on cgi that all directories be set to a 755 permission and that all files be set to 644.

This seems kinda strange to me - does anyone know why with a cgi that the permissions have to be set that way?

secondly, is there an easier way to recurse directories and set all files to 644 and all directories to 755 without going through each directory in file manager?

Thanks for all the help!

CharlesH

sergey is offline Master Glow Jedi

With PHP compiled as CGI or FastCGI, you can set permissions on files and folders maximum to 755. Otherwise your php script will produce an Internal Server Error. It's recommended to set permissions on folders to 755 and for files to 644. You can set the permissions on files and folders recursively using these commands:

Code:
    find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} ';' -  it will set permissions on all folders to  755;
    find -type f -exec chmod 644 {} ';' - it will set permissions on all files to 644

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

You just saved me perhaps 2 to 3 hours! You da man! Certainly, it is better to work smarter than to work harder.

Thanks for the advice - it worked like a charm!

CharlesH

sergey is offline Master Glow Jedi

no problem.