Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IDX integration

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

It's so easy to transfer files using the WHM utility for copying an account, it's really ridiculous. I started to do it the manual way - ftp, exporting databases, re-uploading and then I discovered the copy account functions on WHM. So frigging easy and done in a flash. The hard part was getting some of my clients to switch their DNSs to the Harmonmediagroup.com DNS, not the copying of the accounts. Plus, the biggest advantage of a dedicated is a separate hard drive that makes nightly backups of only the files and / or databases that have changed during that day. You can sleep well at night that way, or at least better.

The thing to do is to add up all your hosting you're charging and figure out how much off you would be (or maybe not at all) by getting a dedicated. If it's like $40 you're out of pocket per month, or even $60 after you factor in what you are charging your clients, it is very worth the move IMHO.

So, if I have it right, the transparent software is the add on to the other software you already have installed - sort of like a module somewhat?

As far as learning as you go - sometimes it's the only way. It can be scary, but it will force you to learn what you have to learn to make things work.

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Thanks for the input Charles! I really do appreciate it.

I already have most of my clients' dns set to my custom nameservers but not quite where I can afford the ded server. I have quite a bit of work in and some more supposedly on it's way... maybe sooner than I think for the ded server.

I'll sleep on this and talk with the client tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Here's the response I just got from Transparent Technologies:

The Timeout needs to be set high enough that the import script can run long enough to get all the data from your RETS server. It will depend greatly on the speed of the rets server, your server, and your servers internet connection speed. Generally, I suggest you set it to 10,000 seconds run your import and once you know how long it is actually taking you can then reduce the timeout to a appropriate value.
    What do you think?
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

The shared servers have a firewall that will timeout anything that runs for more than 1800 seconds which is 30 minutes. The semi dedicated allow up to an hour so 3600 seconds. VPS and dedicated you can set this as you need.

However both of these scenarios seem like a long time to me. But then a lot of that depends on how big the MLS stuff from a particular region is.

If you are in Miami, Florida its going to be a lot larger and take a lot longer than if you are in Gunnison, Colorado.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Here's the link to the mls search:
    http://kspropertyads.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Ksst&PRGNAME=MLSLogin&ARGUMEN T=GTkElBdUDSSuA8GFeOl9y4dPtvFl88Dz73tZhEXYY2A%3D&K eyRid=1
    The thing that I am curious about is: they don't even allow you to have search criteria that exceeds 100 listings - so doesn't that mean that they are putting a cap on their server resources?

How would you guys handle it if you couldn't afford the ded server yet? What would your recommendation be to the client?
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

I'd tell the client that a dedicated server is going to be a gazillion times cheaper than the print ads that most realtors pay every month and is going to be a more effective form of advertisement.... if you can get the google organic search part squared away for them, it will be. That is just me though
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

In agreement with Matt,

I would explain to your client that in order to accommodate this type of service, they will have to fork over more money in hosting. If it were me, I don't like discount shoppers, though there is a place for them as well - but, if they are serious about the IDX integration, it's going to cost them more in hosting.

Just my $.02

Hey Charles...

Quick question: Did you go with an unmanaged server or managed?

Thanks!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Last time I checked and at the time when I decided, the cost of a managed server was not too far off that of an unmanaged one, so I went with a managed server. That way, when I'm sailing on my Yacht in the Mediterranean, I can rest assured that someone is watching my stuff. I don't want to go it alone and you know how good the service is here, so why would you want to give that up?

That's the way I look at it, anyway. Ah, Yacht in the Med... wouldn't it be nice!

Charles

Thanks for responding.

I'm still thinking about this, obviously. lol
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123