Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEO on Parked Domains

rlhanson is offline Master Glow Jedi

Default SEO on Parked Domains

How does it benefit a customer to have a main domain and a parked domain name?

Is it possible to do sitemaps, etc. for SEO on a parked domain?

If I add a second sitemap on the sever for the parked domain, will it index the parked domain name also?
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

I am actually not sure if there is any benefit to parking a second domain on an existing site. Some schools say that google and the others think that this is "bad" because you are spamming their search with "duplicate content" from multiple domains.

I have no idea though, SEO changes daily. It would be nice if there was some sort of flag you could indicate to the robots that "This domain is parked" and that you were not intentionally trying to spam them...or something like that anyways.

Parked does not have a unique filesystem, it shows the same filesystem of the main site/domain, so the sitemap being followed would be the same one from the main site.

And then there is the whole sitemap question...is it helpful or hurtful? Seems to be a lot of different opinions on this topic as well.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

The only reason I think a parked domain is good is for common errors that would occur for a particular domain. I am working on a site which is ***managementgroup.com and have parked ***propertymanagement.com. The main domain is the "legal" name but could commonly be confused with the property management part.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I definately don't want to have them flagged as spam.
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Dmitriy is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

I'm not sure about the answers to the questions, but....

Different domain on the same IP are not treated in Google as a spam, but this will not increase you rating as well.

Same site on defferent names is useful when you register domains, like you-company.com, you-company.org, you-company.de etc. This way you will have all users you can get & no one will be using you-company.tld without you knowing that.

So is that the purpose of being able to have so many parked domains (I see this advertised all over as a hosting benefit) - just to be able to own all the extensions without using up your account space?

I've used it for shortened email addresses - which is very effective for long domain names, to have a second domain which is abbreviated for ease of use.

I thought there was some SEO benefit to having parked domains...guess I will have to research that a bit.

Thanks for the responses!
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

richbabe is offline Almost no longer a newbie!

hello All,
    i stumbled across this website tester , try and see your results for this topic.
    i amso have a parked domain and after testing it on this site, i realised my key words and meta tags did not display as i had a parked domain! maybe this maybe a problem having parked domains?
    what do you think?

should i remove my parked domain then test and see what happens ?
    thanks

richbabe is offline Almost no longer a newbie!

this is an example below of a test result i did a few min ago

Web page analysis. Found web page with a redirect.
    The most search engines do not index web pages with a redirect to a other web page.

is this dude to my parked domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by rlhanson View Post
    So is that the purpose of being able to have so many parked domains (I see this advertised all over as a hosting benefit) - just to be able to own all the extensions without using up your account space?

I've used it for shortened email addresses - which is very effective for long domain names, to have a second domain which is abbreviated for ease of use.

I thought there was some Search Engine Optimization benefit to having parked domains...guess I will have to research that a bit.

Thanks for the responses!
    I think parks are for noobs perhaps and 301 redirects are for the L337.

I think rather than parking the domains, you should set them up as an addon domain and then use a 301 permanent redirect in .htaccess that way the domains all go to one site and there is no duplicate content penalty.

this is an example below of a test result i did a few min ago

Web page analysis. Found web page with a redirect.
    The most search engines do not index web pages with a redirect to a other web page.

is this dude to my parked domain name?
    What?!

Thanks Matt for replying to my post (from 2007 LOL) !
    Thank you,
    Lynne Hanson
    RL Hanson-Online

Hehe, I would have posted earlier but I guess now I have a better answer for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast