Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What hosting package would work

Trzl is offline Junior Web Sage

Default I guess thats it

OK, It looks like I'm going to have to use FTP to get this done. Then setup a cron-jon to run a script that checks for new unconverted-files.

I also will be adding a few low-traffic websites to go along with this, maybe a joomla or drupal or some other cms's.

So, given that, What package would you suggest for ftp'ing 1-2 gig files a few times a month, and then converting them to flv.

Which package would you guys suggest?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Depends on how long those large files are going to stay on the server. If you keep the original and the flv you are going to run out of space very quickly. What are your plans for this?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Cross Platform Graphical Secure FTP (SFTP) Clients

Check this out. It is a JAVA app that you can embed in a browser for your clients to upload files via FTP. You could then setup one FTP account for the website. I believe it will also do gzip compression on the client side, to limit your bandwidth.

I am using the RADPro product which uses HTTP and it works well and is very configurable.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarcv View Post
    Cross Platform Graphical Secure FTP (SFTP) Clients

Check this out. It is a JAVA app that you can embed in a browser for your clients to upload files via FTP. You could then setup one FTP account for the website. I believe it will also do gzip compression on the client side, to limit your bandwidth.

I am using the RADPro product which uses HTTP and it works well and is very configurable.
    Yes, but since all your servers are dedicated, and are specifically configured for large file transfers, I still think rad upload will get disconnected after a period of time on a shared box.
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Default moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Depends on how long those large files are going to stay on the server. If you keep the original and the flv you are going to run out of space very quickly. What are your plans for this?
    The originals, once they're converted, will probably be deleted. A few maybe downloaded once and then deleted. I will probably install an open source file browser and there will be someone assigned to check and delete unwanted files.

How easy is it to upgrade from a VPS? Would the process go smoothly with any downtime. Just in case I end up exceeding the limits. But that is highly doubtful this early on.

VPS to dedicated is not too bad, it really depends on the site activity and number of clients that are constantly visiting the site. it can definitely be done without downtime, but if your databases are active, you might want to shut them down for a bit during the transfer and DNS propagation period. I always say just start with a dedicated though, that way there is no need to move anything later when you do get big. What sometimes happens is people realize they need a dedicated too late and it creates a lot of work trying to get the old site and new site synchronized during the propagation period.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-08-2008 at 03:13 AM.

Thumbs up hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What sometimes happens is people realize they need a dedicated too late and it creates a lot of work trying to get the old site and new site synchronized during the propagation period.
    Thanks for the warning. I'll keep that in mind.

No worries, if you still have questions, you know where to find us.

Does a VPS come with the free domain?

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello,
    unfortunately, we do not provide free domain with VPS packages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12