Thread: vBulletin questions

nicole is offline Almost no longer a newbie!

Default vBulletin questions

Hi,

I found GlowHost because I want to start a forum using vBulletin. I see that you have 2 plans that include a vBulletin license and installation.

I am not sure how much disk space I will need as I am new to this. I can tell you that it will probably be small as far as forums go. I think that 500 total members is probably more than a safe overestimate. Therefore, I am thinking that maybe the 5 Star packages might be more than I NEED? Thoughts?

The 4 Star packages list FREE SETUP. If I purchased a vBulletin license on my own, would your FREE SETUP include installing it for me?

If I do go with one of the 5 Star packages, I have 3 questions:
    1. Are vBulletin upgrades included?
    2. Am I required to pay for a year up front to get the free vBulletin license and installation? Or do you get it with any of the payment plans?
    3. I know that from what I have read, everyone seems very happy at GlowHost , but, if for any reason I leave your hosting service, do I keep the vBulletin license?

Along those same lines, if I pay for a year in advance and leave before the year but after the 60 day money back guarantee period, would I be due any refund for the months not used?

I have read the posts about the domain registration, and I apologize but I still have a question. I already have the domain name that I want to use privately registered through Go Daddy. From what I have read, I think that you would recommend that I transfer that domain to your sister company Instapro.net? If I go with a 5 Star package, would it qualify for the FREE DOMAIN FOR LIFE that you offer? As I have already paid for it to be private, would it still be private when I transfer it? Or would I have to pay another fee to keep it private?

Thank you for your time and assistance!! I appreciate it! Nicole

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Hi Nicole,

Its hard to say exactly what your needs are until we see it Everyone is a bit different but with 500 members either plan should work fine for you.

We will install vBulletin free of charge for you on either package that comes with the software.

If I do go with one of the 5 Star packages, I have 3 questions:
    1. Are vBulletin upgrades included?
    2. Am I required to pay for a year up front to get the free vBulletin license and installation? Or do you get it with any of the payment plans?
    3. I know that from what I have read, everyone seems very happy at GlowHost , but, if for any reason I leave your hosting service, do I keep the vBulletin license?
    1. Do you mean do you have access to the updates or will we install the updates for you? You definitely have access to the vBulletin updates but updating it is up to you. We certainly can do it for you but there would be a small fee to do so. Its a fairly simple process though if you are familiar with how to use FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP it might be worthwhile to learn since sometime vB comes out with a new version a few days after another new version when they realize there was a problem with the "old" new version...if you catch my drift.

2. One year is required for this offer. We did payment plans before but people were signing up with GlowHost, getting a free vBulletin license, then canceling their credit card payment to GlowHost and taking the license as they had no intention of hosting here in the first place. So unfortunately, a few bad apples have spoiled it for the bunch and now a year is required.

However, we will consider 6 month payment option on a case-by-case basis.

3. The license is yours no matter what, we register it in your name and information and provide you with a license key and login info at vBulletin. it is fully portable to any other host.

There are no refunds after the 60 day guarantee period. We offer discounted prices on the annual packages and this is why the refunds are not possible, however you can use whatever you have as in-store credit towards other products and services like SSL certificates, domain names hosting for another domain, etc.

Regarding your domain it is up to you if you want to transfer it to InstaPro.net or keep it at GoDaddy. We will credit you for the transfer fee for the first year at InstaPro. The transfer fee to InstaPro is ~$9.00 and it includes a one year extension on the existing expiration date so if you recently renewed the domain its a good deal.

At this time, the free domain for life only applies to newly registered domains that were registered directly through GlowHost.com and are the same domain that is being currently hosted.

I think that answers everything, if I missed anything or you still have questions please let us know.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Default thank you for fast response!!

Matt,

Thank you so much for your fast response!

When I asked about the vBulletin upgrades, I was wondering if GlowHost charges a fee for the actual upgrade or update as I now see that vBulletin calls them. For example, on the vBulletin website, they say that once you purchase a license, you still have to pay for updates after the first year, currently $30 per year. I was just wondering if I would have to pay that if I am paying for one of the 5 Star hosting plans that includes the license.

Based on what you told me about transferring the domain name, I think I will just log on to Go Daddy and change the DNS to whatever you tell me. That would work too, right?

Thanks for all your help! Nicole

Sure, Glad to help.

Yes, you would need to pay them directly after you have your license, but we will give you a discount on your renewal of hosting here upon your request. For example, if they want $30 for the second year of support/updates, and you pay them for this, then we will subtract $30 from your next renewal here at GlowHost.

As for the domain, what you are describing is a DNS transfer not a domain transfer. That service is free from most every registrar, and then your domain registration would remain with Godaddy. All you are doing in that scenario is pointing the domain name to the host of your choice. That is the most common way people host their domains if they are happy with the services and pricing of their current domain registration provider.

The only reason most people transfer their domains to another domain service provider is that the price is better, the support is better, or the domain control panel is easier to use so they will consolidate their domains all at a common service provider.
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Default next step?

Thanks Matt.

I had read on other forums that you are great and they were right!

So I am all signed up, paid for a year of Pro 5 Star. I have received all the e-mails and have sucessfully logged in to the Control Panel and FTP.

I am sure it is here somewhere and I just do not see it, can you please point me in the right direction to get the Free vBulletin and installation?

Thanks again!!
    Nicole

Well that's great news...welcome to GlowHost

vBulletin is not part of cPanel we do this manually so what needs to happen is that you need to resolve the domain name, and once it has resolved open a ticket at our helpdesk with your relevant account information and we will get started on the installation/purchase process for your vBulletin license.