Thread: upgrading question

ed_meyer is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default upgrading question

I have had a reseller "mini" $24.95/mo, 1000MB account for the past 1 1/2 years, if I upgrade my account to the $34.95/mo package, will I get the old unlisted 2000MB "junior" reseller account or the 40,000MB reseller level II account that's advertised on your site? I did ask about getting the new limits by trouble ticket, and was told that "a 75 USD per hour fee will be involved." The reason I'm asking this about an upgrade is because in your terms of service it says "4.4 Account upgrades incur no processing fees and can be conducted at any time by the customer." This question is about an upgrade, the trouble ticket didn't include an upgrade. Also, does every change in service level incur the $75/hr cost if you have to move the account to a differant server?

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello, the matter is that we do not provide upgrade to the new reseller packages. Existing resellers can order a new hosting account if they would like to take part in the new reseller account offering. Existing resellers can then start adding their new clients to the new reseller accounts while maintaining their old accounts on the old servers. Existing resellers can also move their old sites to the new accounts if they wish, at any time frame that they see fit.
    The $75/hr cost is the transfer fee in case you would like us to perform the transfer. But in case you make full cpanel backups of your accounts and upload them to the new server, the following fees can be involved:
    5 accounts free
    Then $5.00 per account after.
    Sites over 1000 megabyte are $10.00 per 1000 GB each.
    Sites over 1000 megabytes are excluded from the "Free Transfer" offer and will incur a transfer fee per above.

Please, note, that you can perform the transfer to the new server by yourself.

I'm sorry Alex. The more I re-read your answer, the more I'm not sure I understand.

If I open a new account to replace my existing reseller account are these my options?

I have a total of 9 accounts (counting the main reseller account)
    Total disk space used is 351 MB (total of all accounts)

Pay you $75/hr for what you stated in the trouble ticket of 1 1/2 - 2 hours, to move all the accounts. ($117 to $150)

Or I can backup and re-upload all the accounts and owe you -
    9 accounts minus
    5 free moves
    equals 4 accounts times $5 or $20. Is this right?

Doesn't WHM allow the holder of the root password to backup and restore a whole reseller account in one quick move?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Yes, the math in option #2 (4 accounts * $5.00 = $20.00)

Quote Originally Posted by ed_meyer View Post
    ...The reason I'm asking this about an upgrade is because in your terms of service it says "4.4 Account upgrades incur no processing fees and can be conducted at any time by the customer."
    That is true, but this is a sidegrade. You are going to a completely different set of servers, but in the same grade of hosting (reseller).

Also, does every change in service level incur the $75/hr cost if you have to move the account to a differant server?
    There are no upgrade fees. The fees are if you do not want to do the things necessary to complete the upgrade. Most of our clients either do the transfers themselves, or have their webmasters do them. But if a client doesnt want to do the work, or pay a webmaster to do it, we offer services for this, and then we have various fee structures based on the complexities of the work being done.

Doesn't WHM allow the holder of the root password to backup and restore a whole reseller account in one quick move?
    Sort of. It doesn't have a migrate reseller function, it allows for many accounts to be moved if they are selected from a list, but it is a little cumbersome, and it usually forgets to copy 25-50% of the sites public_html or other directories. Which is then why we have the hourly fee to come in and manually copy what was forgotten by WHM. The cpanel backups are more reliable and since the work can be done by the end-user, and is pretty easy for them to do in their free time, then all we need to do in 99% of the cases is unpack them and it only takes a few minutes per account to do that. That is why the fees for that option are less.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-01-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Thank you for helping me understand better. Sometimes I get a little lost. Now for the final question... Can I open a new reseller account using the same myhostingdomain.com domain name that I'm using now? Or do I have to register yet another domain name for the new account?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

It's better to use a different name, because the order form will detect that the existing domain already has hosting and will not allow for more I think.

One way to get around this is to order for some fictitious domain name for the new master account. Then after everything is transfer and done resolving, open a ticket requesting that you change the new master domain name to your old one. Then ditch the ficticious name, or host it in your new space.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

barbaramorriy is offline Banned

i recommend you should go and buy a new package instead a upgrade..i belive you have it on another email id..too