Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to sign up...

lramirez is offline No longer a Newbie

Yeah, thus me wondering if the transfer will be okay or not...

Or will it not be transferred?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well its important to know what kind of transfer you are talking about, with domains, their are two main kinds of transfers.

1) Domain DNS Transfer - You register a domain at some third-party site and keep the registration and renewal, through that third-party site, but point the nameservers to GlowHost so that we can host your domain.

Usefulness: When you like a particular domain service better than your web host's domain service, or prefer not to have your domains and hosting all controlled by a common host.

You let one site manage the domain registration / renewal, and another manage the domain hosting.

Time: 1 minute to 48 hours to notice the changes once you have updated your nameservers at the site you registered the domain, dependant on how long your ISP takes to update their cache, if they have one for your domain.

2) Domain Transfer Registrar - You want to move the actual domain registration and renewals for your domain to another domain service provider, Like InstaPro.net, but still want to be able to host anywhere you prefer to host the domain.

Usefulness: For those who prefer a particular domain service provider because of features, prices, or want to consolidate domain names. Pricing and domain consolidation are the most common reasons for domain transfer of registrar.

Time: 5-10 days in most cases for the "loosing" registrar and "winning" registrar to transfer the domain registration.

Tip: if you need to transfer your DNS AND Registrar, transfer your DNS first, because if you do not, your domain will be locked while the domain transfer of registrar completes, and you will not be able to modify the domain name servers.

Tidbit: Its not required to transfer a domain to another registrar to acquire hosting from a host of your choice.

Another tidbit: Transferring your domain registrar will not cause downtime on your domain, and your existing nameservers will not be changed. You will not notice anything except one site no longer manages the domain, and that the new site, now does manage the newly transferred domain.

So now that we have the differences established, what sort of transfer are we talking about so I have a little history on what has been done, other than of course the hosting order and fulfilment part, which is completed.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Well, in regards to the domain, I guess I'm going to have to wait a little bit. I could have sworn I was told to transfer it so it's all "under one roof". Practically, right now we are at a standstill with this since the previous web developer for the company has yet to give us any sort of information on the domain registrar currently in use, (which as I found out through the whois, as so did you, that it's "itsyourdomain.com"). In short, I know I have to at least point the DNS to GlowHost's DNS, but I have absolutely no way of getting access to do so. Quite a pain in the butt.

So since I am taking over web development for the company, my father (aka my client) and I are kind of at his old freelancer's grip, and waiting for him to give information. I'm a lot more technically savvy, but it seems anything I'm asking for is going over their heads.

All I know for sure is that we want a Domain Registrar transfer, completely. Now when it's going to be done now, I don't know, but once it gets done, what would be the steps to take? Sign up and transfer at InstaPro, and then have the InstaPro domain point to GlowHost DNS', correct?

(Again, I mostly know what I'm doing, I just have some really annoying hurdles to jump over right now).

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well this part is what you should do:

Quoting myself, is that conceited?
    Tip: if you need to transfer your DNS AND Registrar, transfer your DNS first, because if you do not, your domain will be locked while the domain transfer of registrar completes, and you will not be able to modify the domain name servers.
    Because eventually you are going to get logins for the current registrar, and since you are in there already, might as well change/transfer the DNS to GlowHost BEFORE the domain transfer registrar.

That way the domain is already being hosted at GlowHost and the domain transfer of registrar can take place n the background with no interruption of service while you develop the site. otherwise if you wait for the domain transfer registrar to complete then do the DNS transfer, you are twiddling your thumbs for 10 days until the domain is editable for nameserver modification again.

To recap:
    1. Get the logins to the current registrar
    2. Transfer the DNS to the nameservers in your welcome letter
    3. Transfer the domain registration to InstaPro

If you cant get the logins from your developer you might contact the current registrar and ask them how to obtain your logins, which is probably a highly annoying process.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quoting myself, is that conceited?
    N'ah.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    To recap:
    1. Get the logins to the current registrar
    2. Transfer the DNS to the nameservers in your welcome letter
    3. Transfer the domain registration to InstaPro

If you cant get the logins from your developer you might contact the current registrar and ask them how to obtain your logins, which is probably a highly annoying process.
    Yeah, figured. And yes, currently annoying as it is. Bleh. Thanks for your help, bud!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12