+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long to set up new account?

Unregistered You Are Posting As A Guest - Please Register or Log In

Default How long to set up new account?

I'm curious how long it takes to get a new account set up with username and login information. I'd like to start transferring from my old host, as well as becoming a domain reseller and I need to establish a timeline to ensure I am personally available to oversee the shift.

Any info you can give on the expected time it takes from application to active account would be helpful.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Hello-

Setup is only a few minutes or hours in most cases.

We say that reseller accounts can take "up to 24 hours" to fully provision, but it is usually much less provided the credit card / paypal and contact information is valid.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

infoserv is offline Junior Web Sage

Are your shared accounts set up manually or is it automated like some hosts?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by infoserv View Post
    Are your shared accounts set up manually or is it automated like some hosts?
    We have the capability to setup account automatically but we have stopped doing that due to the large number of fraudulent orders that web hosts typically receive, us included.

Take a guess at what percentage of orders that we get are from criminals?

60%

Thats right!!!

6 out of 10 orders are from people who have stolen credit cards. For shame...

It seems to be getting worse, not better unfortunately.

The reason we manually approve all accounts is primarily to prevent spammers who have stolen credit cards from getting immediate access to a shared server. When a spammer signs up, and gets instantly approved, they have logins in less than 30 seconds. 10 minutes later they have their scripts loaded on the server and are *trying* to send 10's of thousands of email in the first few minutes that they have their accounts.

We have protections in place to prevent excessive emails from going out, but the protections drive server loads up to their maximums trying to discard emails as soon as they are created. And even then, they will get their "hourly limit" of spam off of the server and often times, it leads to a server being blacklisted by various ISPs.

When a blacklisting occurs, all the legitimate customers on the shared server will have problems sending emails.

As you can imagine, legitimate paying customers get upset when their server is slow, and even more upset when they cannot send email. Put the two factors together and you have some very unhappy customers.

I'd stay away from hosts that offer instant activation because they have absolutely no control over their servers and are offering their existing customers absolutely no protections against spammers and scammers getting onto their servers.

We manually approve all orders and I think our customers appreciate it. Setup generally takes a few minutes to a few hours. It can be longer if we cannot reach the person who placed the order when we try to call them on the phone to verify the order.

Overall, the system works very well. Thanks for asking the question, I hope it helps explain the process to others!
    Last edited by Matt; 08-03-2007 at 01:59 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

ScriptZ is offline Newbie

I hope my Order: "
    Multiple domains & hosting packages order #20103 "

will be setup fastly

+ Reply to Thread