Thread: Account audit and advice

monkette is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Question Account audit and advice

I've had an account here at Glowhost and it's been great. Over the past few years, I've started doing a few Joomla sites (1.0.15) and my most critical site, Los Angeles Biohazardous Waste - Trauma Cleaning | Death Cleanup | Suicide Cleanup | Blood Clean Up | Dead body odor | Crime Scene Cleaning | Gross Filth Cleanup | California , seems to take longer than I want to load. Depending on I don't know what (time of day?), the same unchanged page takes much longer than I like. I would like my joomla site, Los Angeles Biohazardous Waste - Trauma Cleaning | Death Cleanup | Suicide Cleanup | Blood Clean Up | Dead body odor | Crime Scene Cleaning | Gross Filth Cleanup | California to load right zippy quick. I've optimized the php queries as much as possible (58 queries) but still it takes some time, sometimes. Sometimes it's quick. I really need the site to load quick all of the time, regardless of how many joomla extensions I use in the future, within reason.

Concerned for two reason, business will go away if one has to wait 5 or more seconds per page, and don't want to worry about the webbots timing out, which is a possibility because sometimes I get timeout errors when using my crawler xenu.

Can you suggest a quicker hosting package for me? I am on the reseller pro and love all the features but wonder if I can do better with my most critical site's load time with a different package.

Thanks 4 your time.
    "Chew slowly."

Talking that's kind of weird

that I inserted my url and the titles come up....
    "Chew slowly."

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well, I don't know if Joomla extensions are a basis for performance. You could have 10 million extensions if they are all well-coded. Or, you could have 1 extension that is crappily coded that slows things down or overloads the server...or both.

I am looking at you site and i cannot find any 5 second page loads, but if you are, I'd look deeper into the script. And if that's not your answer, then perhaps you will need something with some more horsepower like a semi-dedicated server or dedicated server.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by monkette View Post
    that I inserted my url and the titles come up....
    That is the board default setting. If you simply enter a URL it tries to get some anchor text and it uses your page titles. If you specify the anchor text and use the link option, it will override the board default behavior, which is to use those really long page titles that you have.
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

dansgalaxy is offline Junior Web Sage

And there was me thinking he was just trying to get some link backs >< lol.

Talking ya, I wish

I think the link back problem is what got me here. My site doesn't even show up on google when I type in my company name (did about a month ago), so I've been optimizing the site, trying to determine whats going on, although the site is still indexed in google.

Well since this is not google groups for webmasters, I'll stop on that!
    Have a great summer everyone!
    Elizabeth
    "Chew slowly."

You should consider one or two of those 2-3 word descriptions per page instead of using them all on the home page. Then make the page content relevant to the page title, repeating it in the page text and h1 and h2 tags. You will find you get indexed much better than throwing the entire kitchen sink into the page title.

You may need 8-10 pages, one page for each title if those are your targets.