Thread: Newbie redirect questions

ski-mx kenny is offline Newbie

Default Newbie redirect questions

OK, I have a website [hosted elsewhere] that for unfortunate legal reasons needs to be shutdown. But I CAN redirect all traffic from that site to my new one [hosted here].

I saw in control panel that the process is fairly straightforward, however I have some specific questions:

1. Do BOTH sites need to be hosted by Glowhost? If so, what steps do I need to do in order to get my old domain hosted here?

2. We NEED a redirect splash screen to tell visitors wtf is happening, then have the new site open in its own full window [after say, 5 secs]. Is this a simple process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old site: http://www.winterxbike.com
    New site: http://www.hansonbikes.com

Ski-mx Kenny

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

What you are describing is a separate site, which your package may or may not support. Some plans allow hosting of multiple domains.

If you simply wanted to "park" the old domain, you could do that yourself in your control panel. What a park does is essentially forward domain "B" to domain "A."

In your case you want a separate site, splash page, then redirect from domain "B" to Domain "A" which requires its own hosting.

If you need a separate package, let us know. If your package allows hosting for multiple domains, use the "addon domains" feature in cpanel. You can use this feature AFTER you have pointed the DNS for site "B" to match the same DNS as your site hosted here. (Site "A") Once domain "b" resolves, you can use the addon domain function to setup a separate site.

Upload an index page to put whatever content you like to display to your users, (your splash page) then redirect them using a timed javascript, or meta tag refresh to the new site.

I do not have any code examples handy, but can find some if you strike out.

Do a google for "timed redirect" or javascript timed redirect" or "meta refresh" and find a solution that suits you.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

ski-mx kenny is offline Newbie

Default Thanks Matt!

You are the best! I created a "splash" redirect screen and added a timed javascript to open a new window. As soon as I clean up some shopping cart issues, I will publish the redirect on the old site.

NOW, since you have FANTASTIC customer service and I already have other sites with you [usasba.org, hansonbikes.com], I would like to switch hosting of winterxbike.com [soon to be just a redirect] from nextmil.net to you. Is this a difficult process?

Thanks again.

- kg

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Glad to help

Not difficult at all, just submit a ticket on it telling us the same thing you just said and we will setup the account for you, or if your plan supports multiple domains, you can set it up yourself with the "addon domains" function in cPanel.

Upload your redirect scripts, then change the nameservers on the domain to the ones we assign for your account. Once you do this it will eventually resolve to GlowHost, typically in a matter of minutes, but sometimes it takes up to 24 hours based on your ISP's cache of the site.

Just make sure to setup your email accounts and upload the scripts/files for the site itself before you change the DNS so the site is there waiting on our server for when the domain does arrive.

Last edited by Matt; 11-26-2005 at 01:10 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |