Thread: New to Glowhost and need some help.

Immersive is offline No longer a Newbie

Default New to Glowhost and need some help.

Well boys and girls I just got my very first webhost ever right here at Glowhost. I have the Advanced 3 star plan at the moment and I also got an extra domain name to just set there and do nothing so that someone can not use it to copy my idea for my site anyway.

Well now for my questions.

1. I have another domain name and DNS service with DynDns.com pointed at a friends dreamhost account. I would like to get that website over to glowhost and still use my custom DNS service from DynDns.com.

So is that possable? I have all my files and databases backed up and ready to upload to glowhost but I seem to have ran into the problem of pointing my DynDns domain name to Glowhost.

Glowhost information about addon domains said I needed to point my Domain name to my main sites name servers useing NS1.GENDNS12.COM or NS2.GENDNS12.COM the problem I have ran into is that I seem to only be able to enter an A-Record into my other domain, so ummm? IP address not a domain name.

2. Also I was kind of worried about the 2nd domain name I regestered with Glowhost seems how it is not in my parked domains area and I seem to not have any room for one.

So what is a parked domain name and how do I get room for one. Can I use my other domain name to just point to my main website with a parked domain?

Also another concern or really just looking for some info on the subject is both my domains I regested with Glowhost showed up in my DynDns.com account. Very nice since I had not seen my 2nd domain name anywhere in my cPanel.

3. After I resolve the issue with my DynDns DNS service do I just goto Addon Domains and enter the info there for a new folder to appear for my old website?

Well I think that is all I have for now and sorry If I put in any information I should not have in this post or for breaking any rules and whatnot. I will not lie I have not read the rules or anything like that.

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello, Immersive! Welcome to GlowHost and thanks for taking time to post on our forums. I'll try to answer your questions here.

1. It is possible to use your private NS, you just need two things:
    - to point domain's A record to the IP which your domain uses on our server;
    - provide us with the NS you use to let us update DNS zone on the server.
    But we strongly recommend not to use such configuration since it is not standard and non-standard configurations can be easily damaged during system updates/maintenances etc. In other words we can't guaranty that it will work properly.

2. Parked domain is an alias of your main hosted domain. This will allow users to reach your website when entering the "parked" or "pointed" domain into their browsers.

3. First, you need to add this domain as addon domain, provide us with the domain names you would like to use and only after that you should contact your registrar to point your domain to our server.
    Last edited by Matt; 04-05-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

In regards to item number 3, this is also a problem when you use remote nameservers instead of the ones we provide. The system will not allow you to park or addon the domains unless you use our NS which means you'd have toa sk us each time you wanted to park or use an addon domain.

Your cPanel should now list the ability to park domains.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Thank you both for your replies. I will look into all the information you have provided me. As for the reliability of my other domain it is really not that important.

I just looked at my cpanel and it still has Parked Domains 0/0 so I assume that means Parked Domains = 0 out of 0 spots available. Am I correct? Is this something I must purchase?

guildrecruiters.com is my main domain and the 2nd domain I registered when activating my account was guildrecruiters.net. I click on parked domains and enter in guildrecruiters.net and get this error " Error from park wrapper: Sorry, you are not allowed to add any more than (0) parked domains!".

If this was working the way I belive it should people should be able to reach my main website by entering in guildrecruiters.net. Is this correct?

P.S
    Thank you two very much for the fast reply seems I have chosen the right webhost. Amazing part is this isnt even submitting a ticket. The bad part about this is im afraid I will become lazy and start to rely on all the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    2. Parked domain is an alias of your main hosted domain.
    Oh wait so parked domain is something like this forum.guildrecruiters.com? That is how alias works for my other dns service.

Also I lied about the other two domains showing up in my dyndns.com account that was my cart from earlier.

Check your cPanel again, it should say that you now have parked domains available. For some reason your account was not created with allowed and avalable domain parking slots. It should be there now.

The parked domains simply mean that if you park whatever.net on the main domain, then going to whatever.net will display the same content you have for whatever.com.

forum.guildrecruiters.com is not domain parking. That is a subdomain.

Then there is an addon domain which I like to define as parking a domain on a subdomain.

Nice 0/4 parked now thank you again Matt.

Glad to help