Thread: Email Woes

FrankT is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default Email Woes

Hi!

I can send email just fine with both Horde and Squirrelmail, but when I try to reply to the emails I sent (from my work ISP and email address), I get this error when attempting to reply:

<<< 550-"The recipient cannot be verified. Please check all recipients of this <<< 550 message to verify they are valid." 550 5.1.1 <user@franktuttle.com>... User unknown <<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

I must have skipped a step somewhere, but I can't figure out what I've done wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Matt; 02-14-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

You have your mail client setup for your cpanel username which is an email account that is disabled by default because the cPanel username email account acts as a "catch-all" email address and that leads to problems for about 99% of users because it collects anything@yourdomain.com and essentially is a spam magnet.

Go into cPanel > Mail Icon > add/remove/manage accounts and add an actual email account. Then use this account for sending and receiving email.

Each email address you create will have a unique username of email@yourdomain.com and a password associated with that username.

Then you can either login to that account directly at yourdomain.com/webmail or you can login to the webmail interface with your cPanel username and password. Choosing the second option gives you a directory tree of all the actual email accounts you have created, and you can access them all from the common cPanel login.

Logging into yourdomain.com/webmail with one of the email addresses as the username allows you to access only the specified account, which is useful for sites that do not want to give all email users superuser access via webmail.

Logging in as the cPanel user to webmail is useful for personal sites that want access to each inbox on one common superuser interface.

Finally for outlook (or whatever mail program you use) you will need to configure each individual email address with the full email address as the username and that email address password, not your cpanel user and password.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

FrankT is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default thanks!

That got it. I now have 3 email addresses up and working.

Matt, thanks again.

frank

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Glad to help. Thanks for using the forums It was getting a bit dead in here for a while. I was beginning to think think there was nothing to talk about anymore and we had filled them up with everything needed! he he
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |