Thread: Alert for a full mailbox?

photosbyblo is offline No longer a Newbie

Default Alert for a full mailbox?

I get notified by email when any of my hosting accounts is close to going over their bandwidth or space quota so I can take action. Is there a way to set up email notification when one of my client's email accounts is about to be full so I can intercede and make their disk space quota larger? Thanks!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Unfortunately this is not supported by cPanel at this time, the only way to do that is add yourself as the contact address for each of their accounts in cPanel.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

photosbyblo is offline No longer a Newbie

I am the contact email address on all my accounts. In fact, just this am I got an email with the subject line: Disk Usage Warning (warn) for the account in question. The message told me the account had used 84.67% of the disk space. But I know for a fact that the mail box was at quota days ago and bouncing mail. Is this 'disk usage warning' activated when the entire account (bandwidth activity, mail traffic, etc) gets close to the account quota? And not just the mail traffic specifically? If so is there a way to set up a mail account to catch the overflow?

And could I have prevented the inbox on the server from becoming full if I had asked it not to save a copy of the mail on the server? The client in question went on vacation and another person was supposed to be downloading her email. Did electing to have a copy of the mail kept on the server and this person perhaps not downloading her mail to her computer on a daily basis cause the box to become full.

Thank you!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

The warnings go out when the site as a whole (mail, files, logs, stats, etc) OR an individual mailbox has crossed the 80% threshold. So in answer to your question, it happens, yes and yes.

You lost me on the mail account overflow part.

"Leave a copy on the server" is something some email programs (read: outlook) made up one day, and is completely foreign to the way POP3 works. I would be surprised if that function works at all.

If you want to leave a copy on the server, setup your mail reader for IMAP instead of POP3 I think you will prefer the results.

As for prevention, I'd suggest a higher quota, use IMAP (which POP3 leave a copy on the server is trying to mimic) and make sure to delete and purge often from the inbox and sent items if you decide to go with IMAP.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |