Thread: Thumbs up!

omarfilip is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

Thumbs up Thumbs up!

I upgraded from a vps on vern to a dedicated server this morning. The support crew that made it happen did it on a Saturday and without a hitch. Questions and tickets were answered within minutes, and I'm not exaggerating.

Oh, and the performance of the dedicated server compared to the vps on vern is like 56k modem vs. DSL. Went from an average load time of 10-15 seconds to 0.7 seconds.

Kudos to Alex, Alexander, and Sergey. Well, I guess to Amy and Matt, too.

While I'm really happy with the speed improvement, I have to say that having someone answer questions and make tweaks on the server faster than I can make a cup of instant coffee is what makes GH stand above the crowd.

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

I upgraded and found the performance spiked just about the same as you described. I also noticed a considerable reduction of spam, both my email and also my clients'. I love the dedicated server and transferring accounts was super easy with the WHM transfer feature. A few of my clients have ssl and that also transfered without a hitch. Basically, since I changed where my nameserver pointed, the clients didn't have to change their DNS settings at their registrar.

The jump was a bit of a financial leap as well, but I figured with the monthly income that I receive from hosting, I only have to cover a few extra dollars each month. I feel totally justified now that I've made the move.

CharlesH

ailema is offline Banned

wow were all happy for you, and me i hope i can upgrade my server too soon

charlesh is offline Master Glow Jedi
    Atlanta, GA - better than you imagined it would be.

Default And another thing...

Something else was an added benefit when I moved to the dedicated, that I just can't figure out. When I was on a smaller shared server, I got in early (back in 2004) and the server I was on must not have been that busy.

I had a little, not much, problem with spam, but when I moved to the VPS, it was like a torrent had unleashed itself and suddenly, myself and all of my clients were complaining about an enormous amount of spam. I couldn't figure this out, either... The settings were all the same from the old server and then I even tweaked a little more. Things got better, but were not looking good.

When I moved to the dedicated, it was like the flood waters had receded. I can't figure out why this would happen and I don't mean to discount the VPS any more than I have already. For some it is a great solution and allows you to figure out more about managing a server than does the shared. Perhaps the spam experience was specific only to me. I just can't figure out what about it would cause such an event.

Charles H

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Well, Omarfilip, thank you for your kind words. Glad to hear that you are satisfied and hope that this filling will grow in future. IMHO dedicated server is always better solution than VPS, but we should remember that good things cost more

NevadaSam is offline Junior Web Sage

I am interested in what the share hosting is like. I may wait until this fall to give it a full test drive as school is starting back soon.