Thread: Problem with Nameservers - Authoritative DNS

Dybbuk is offline No longer a Newbie

Default Problem with Nameservers - Authoritative DNS

Hi,

My first post here so be gentle! Hopefully a straightforward question but I couldn't find a solution on the forum.

I have the nameservers ns1.mydomain.ie and ns2.mydomain.ie configured on the VPS, but mydomain.ie is registered elsewhere. So, I logged in to elsewhere and attempted to change the nameservers to those as above, but received the following error:

"Your DNS change has been unsuccessful. This happens when the name servers have entered are incorrectly set up by your hosting provider."

A further explanation was given as below:

"You are receiving this error as the DNS servers you are inputting do not appear to be authoritative for your domain name. In order to change DNS, the IE domain registry requires new DNS servers are authoritative. Our system links directly with theirs to check this."

Now I presume the problem lies with a DNS zone or the nameserver IP's, but can someone point me in the right direction...?

D

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Have you contacted your registrar and actually registered the nameservers? You need to provide them with the desired nameservers, and associated IP addresses. Once the nameservers have been registered, then you can use them on your domains.

If the nameservers are not registered yet, you will receive various errors.

Your DNS zone also needs the matching data that you have configured at the registry.

so add this if it does not exist:

ns1 in A 900 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns2 in A 900 yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Where xxx and yyy are the IPs that you were assigned in your welcome email.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Matt,

Yes, at least I tried to - that's where I received the error messages. The registrar won't allow the nameservers for the reasons given above.

D

Matt,

I added those fields to do DNS zone.

As for contacting my registrar, they just keep telling me that the problem is with glowhost and all of the above.

D

Most likely, the nameservers have not been registered. You need to ask them how to register the ns1/ns2.domain.ie so that they can be used. If you tell me the nameservers then we can look them up for you to verify their registration status.

Matt,

I sent you a message with the nameserver info as from the welcome e-mail.

BUT, in respect to the registrar getting them registered - if by that you mean updating the DNS - they are saying it's not possible and we need to come back to you... but by all means check!

Thanks,

D

I got your message. You actually had ns1 and ns2 in that zone 2x. I don't think that part really matters though.

Your zones here are fine. And no, i don't mean updating DNS. I mean registering the new DNS. You cannot use nameservers that do not exist. You have to register them at the registrar, then they will exist. Once they exist, then you can update your DNS to use those newly created nameservers.

So they need to register your DNS then you can use it on your domains. I sent you a PM with the evidence they will need, though it sounds to me like you are talking to an .ie reseller who may not fully understand this process. You might ask to speak to someone higher.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-20-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how I get on with the registrar...

D

Matt,

Thanks again for your help.

We got this sorted eventually... you were correct to assume the reseller didn't know what to do! But then my life would have been made easier if the client gave me ALL the necessary logins from the outset!

Cheers,

D